Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do? >

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Notices

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is the mechanic?

Next time ship it to Tony at Native. This will not happen.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm holding off on naming names yet but as soon as this is all said and done I will be posting their names to try to give anyone else a heads up before someone else winds up in the same situation as myself. The engine builder as far as I can tell isn't the issue here, just the mechanic that took on the work and being incompetent in his business abilities. He hasn't been in business all that long and I think he is just in over his head here and is trying to purge money from me to cover his end of it at this point. Seems pretty suspicious that he won't go get the engine back until I pay him, sounds like he doesn't have the funds available through his business to pay for the engine work which he subbed out until I pay him for it. I have kept up and paid him every time he sent me an invoice but told him no on this one until the boat is back together and running, tired of throwing money with nothing to show for it, but he said he won't go get it until it's paid in full. I think it's time to let a lawyer intervene, not sure he has much to go on since he has no signed authorization to have ever gone that much over the estimate, we will see.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Not defending the huge increase in price, should probably go direct to the machine shop on that one. But why should he lay out all the $$$ for the engine and then wait/hope you pay in a timely fashion? If he just started his own business that could potentially put him under. I can't see why any business owner would do that. As a compromise meet him at the machine shop, pay there bill and he gets his mark up and additional labor of tear down and dressing it when it's in the boat. I don't have $16,000 to go pick up someone else's motor and wait for them to pay me.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Registered

But I would want a detailed breakdown of how the hell this went from $8500-16,000
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Before paying a lawyer check to see if the business is legit with tax I.d. and registered thru attorney generals office. Find out how far over estimate a shop can legally go in your state. I would do a sit down and lay it all on the table with what you have. Then last resort lawyer. Sorry to hear about this, just sucks this goes on and it sucks when people tell you "should of gone to XXX". That doesn't help your current situation.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Not defending the huge increase in price, should probably go direct to the machine shop on that one. But why should he lay out all the $$$ for the engine and then wait/hope you pay in a timely fashion? If he just started his own business that could potentially put him under. I can't see why any business owner would do that. As a compromise meet him at the machine shop, pay there bill and he gets his mark up and additional labor of tear down and dressing it when it's in the boat. I don't have $16,000 to go pick up someone else's motor and wait for them to pay me.
I agree with that but the issue is they won't give me the costs from the machine shop but put it all on invoices under his business name so the true cost from the machine shop I might never know. If he is running his business properly then he should have done several things differently, including getting prior proper authorization before the work was done and having a proper mechanics lien in place to cover his end on this, otherwise he had better have his liability insurance up to date on his business. I do understand the nature of these things especially pertaining to machine shop practices as my father owns a very successful machine shop doing tool and die work for several local factories and businesses. A friend of mine referred me to him and his engine was sent off along with mine to just have it gone through after a bent valve, and the end costs came in way over the estimate on his as well. Seems to me that if he doesn't know how to run his business and cover his liabilities then going under may be his eventual demise regardless.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Registered

I'd call the machine shop. Anyone I do work for knows what machine shop I use for the machining processes. There's no way I'd pay that much for anyone to rebuild a long block. I'm doing a dart block now that melted pistons, with new custom order pistons from je, all the machine work, heads went back to dart for repair etc it will be about half of what this guy says you owe him. For $16000 you better have an all new 540 long block sitting on the side of the motor that came out of your boat.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a lawyer and move on....let him handle it. If it is a new business owner with little to no money a decent lawyer will get this handled pretty quick.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait.. So the original quote was for a NA engine, ready for a pro charger. Then you had them add the pro charger?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be easy to get all the business you wanted if you could just give any figure as an estimate ,then charge what you wanted to in the end...Sometimes, People amaze me. I hope your state has some kind of law as to how far over estimate a final bill can be.
Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.