Notices

Turbine Cata

Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

My favorite has to be Hell Fire! It's currently for sale.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
My favorite has to be Hell Fire! It's currently for sale.
On OSO?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
On OSO?
Custom marine sales....

http://www.custommarinesales.com/cla...page=out&id=71
Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for the link. At that price no thanks. So many other great options in that price point that I would never give that.

Sorry, but any older cat with turbines is a $300,000 boat. Just look at the other offerings for sale. With piston power maybe $400,000.

Just my opinion, I'm certainly not an expert.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That ad must be old as the boat's not Orange any longer. It's more of a Champagne color now. It was rerigged last year at Skater.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
Thanks for the link. At that price no thanks. So many other great options in that price point that I would never give that.

Sorry, but any older cat with turbines is a $300,000 boat. Just look at the other offerings for sale. With piston power maybe $400,000.

Just my opinion, I'm certainly not an expert.
X2
That 50' Nortech Miss AquaDoll is down to $300,000 with new M8 drives. I don't know anything about it, but it's been for sale for a long time. I like the way it looks, but maybe the theme is not for everyone?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Themed boats are bound to be hard to sell. I could live with everything on that boat except the seats!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Registered

The thing about my boat now is I know what everything costs if it breaks. I can live with most things now.

What does it cost when the turbine stuff breaks and who can fix it?

What are the yearly fixed operating costs?

How much to rebuild a motor and what are the rebuild intervals (if it's like a plane about a gagillion hours)?

This maybe a question of "if you has to ask how much then you can't afford it?"
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Really there isn't anything on the turbine that should break or that requires in season maintenance. It would be more along the lines of change filters in the winter, etc. If you do need something worked on, I'm sure any retired aircraft mechanics in your area would love to help you out.

It is like anything, it depends on hours used, I would say considerably less than a pair of 1200's though. The fuel burn is very close to that of a big block, the only place where the turbines get hit is in the no wake zones because they burn about 16 gallons an hour per side at idle.

How much to rebuild a motor and what are the rebuild intervals?

You will never put enough time on a turbine in a boat in your life to require a complete overhaul which is recommended at 5000 hours. Besides the race guys running them at 120 percent, (which would be like spinning your big block at 10000 RPM) I haven't heard of one coming apart in a boat at speed. The only thing I have heard is guys hot starting them when they have no idea what they're doing. Knot-Right on the boards here has a 46 skater with turbines that he has run for 5 years, and this winter decided to pull his motors apart. Well, long story short is that he is sick he ever took them apart because they are perfect and didn't need to come down. But, if you want a price call whispering turbines, a tear down and rebuild with no major is under $10K.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport

Really there isn't anything on the turbine that should break or that requires in season maintenance. It would be more along the lines of change filters in the winter, etc. If you do need something worked on, I'm sure any retired aircraft mechanics in your area would love to help you out.

It is like anything, it depends on hours used, I would say considerably less than a pair of 1200's though. The fuel burn is very close to that of a big block, the only place where the turbines get hit is in the no wake zones because they burn about 16 gallons an hour per side at idle.

How much to rebuild a motor and what are the rebuild intervals?

You will never put enough time on a turbine in a boat in your life to require a complete overhaul which is recommended at 5000 hours. Besides the race guys running them at 120 percent, (which would be like spinning your big block at 10000 RPM) I haven't heard of one coming apart in a boat at speed. The only thing I have heard is guys hot starting them when they have no idea what they're doing. Knot-Right on the boards here has a 46 skater with turbines that he has run for 5 years, and this winter decided to pull his motors apart. Well, long story short is that he is sick he ever took them apart because they are perfect and didn't need to come down. But, if you want a price call whispering turbines, a tear down and rebuild with no major is under $10K.

Sign me up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.