Notices

38' Awesome

Old 08-14-2002, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

One day two years ago, the Mrs and I were heading from Anchor Bay to the Detroit Yacht Club to visit some friends. Saw at least 3 TREES - big ones - floating in the lake, then when we get down near Belle Isle I started monitoring a conversation between a big yacht (50' or so) and the CG. Seems the guy hit something, probably a railroad tie or log, and busted a shaft seal - water was coming in, but his pumps were keeping up.

The poor guy was a retiree from Canada and didn't know anything about the area. Just him and his wife on the boat. The CG hooked him up with one of the local marinas over on the Detroit side - they were going to have the cradle ready so they could haul him as soon as he pulled in the slip. Only thing is, the guy had no idea how to get to the marina.

I ended up coming back around Belle Isle until we found him, then accompanied him to the marina (can't remember which one it was). Lots of folks don't know about the shallow spot right there between Belle Isle and the Detroit shore. Really felt bad for this guy, but you can bet I'm extra careful if we've had any storms recently!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Registered

I went to the roostertail saturday, and I know there's shallow area's somewhere around there, but I have no idea of exactly where so I was nervous about it. At the gas dock just north of the roostertail on my way to P-I-B last year the attendant told me to turn back and go on the other side of belle isle and take the shipping channel cuz right by the belle isle bridge it gets really shallow on the detroit side. I think the shallow spots are further than the roostertail though, but I really dont know for sure, so let me know, although I dont think I'm going down there anymore this year.

That's terrible about the guy needing emergency lift and repair, the part that really get's me is that most (not all) marina's will stick it to you good if it's an emergency like that, cuz they know you dont have a choice in the matter.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

From what I understand, it gets really shallow (like 1'-3') almost right in the middle of the river, between Belle Isle and the shore - almost like sunken island or something. I'm not overly familiar with the area either, but I know my friend won't cut across the river to get from DYC to the Detroit side. Lots of fun stuff around this area, right? I've heard there is a sunken barge in the North Channel, and someone said there is a freighter in the Middle Channel?? I've not run the Middle Channel at all - usually, if we're going up toward Port Huron, I'll swing down around the South Channel and take that up (I like to hit the shipping cutoff and open her up ) - damn, I miss my boat!

Maybe next year...
Old 08-14-2002, 02:45 PM
Registered

If you stay to the right going downriver it's about 20-25ft of water,if you go off in the middle it's real shallow and weedy.I never go through the Belle Isle bridge side seems like there's a little more traffic than the Canadian side,plus you have to be concerned with the depth.