Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine quit, then what a great feeling (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30735-engine-quit-then-what-great-feeling.html)

Whiteknuckle 08-12-2002 02:26 PM

Engine quit, then what a great feeling

We just completed some major engine work and had a problem with a valve cover leaking. We had to pull the EMI exhaust off to fix the valve cover which was kinda a pain. I ran the boat at the dock and every thing was good. We went out and did a couple of
high RPM blasts and stopped to check the engine. As I walked back to take a look, the engine stopped, like right now with a puff through the flame arrestor. My heart just dropped, thinking I might have taken a slug of water up the exhaust and locked the damn thing up. I tried to start the engine, nothing. So, being that I left my cell phone in the car, I went to throw the anchor out and get on the VHF for some help, then I noticed that my lanyard was dangling at my feet. Apparently I pulled it out when I stepped back to look at the engine. I reset the kill switch, and she fired back up.

Do you know how good that felt?

ragtop409 08-12-2002 02:29 PM

Saftey Lanyard at its best

never thought you would check to see if that item worked!:D

Lee 08-12-2002 02:34 PM

What a relief that was :D

Numbers Larry we need numbers??????;)

Rick252 08-12-2002 02:34 PM

That's a feeling all the way to the pit of your stomach

NObaja 08-12-2002 02:37 PM

Same here

Had a problem firing up this spring for the first time. Spent an hr trying, when I found it, was like being born again:p

blackhawk 08-12-2002 02:38 PM

Two years ago I was taking a couple buddies for a run on Torch Lake. Coming back the the sandbar it just died. I tried and tried to start it and nothing, not even a pop. Checked the tether, okay. Checked the key, okay. WTF? :confused: I then somehow spot an itty-bitty screw on the floor of my boat. Well, not to may places a screw that small can go. Looked under the dash and noticed a small wire dangling from the back of my key switch. Hooked it up and she roared to life. Ahhh, that felt soooooooooo good.

26scarab 08-12-2002 02:39 PM

Glad to see your on the water Larry !! And I second what Lee say's ....numbers !!

Dave M 08-12-2002 02:41 PM

Sometimes I get that feeling when I go to start the boat and nothing .... Then I move my shifter a little and vroooom! If its not precisely in the middle it trips the switch.

Whiteknuckle 08-12-2002 02:53 PM

Lee, Chuck,
I'm not ready to mention numbers yet, we can talk #'s over a beer at the Sugerbush!

26scarab 08-12-2002 02:55 PM

What day ,and time ?!??!
I'm done boating for a while , broken lifter AGAIN !