Notices

Bimini Excursion

Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything I read says for firsttimers do bimini, so that's the plan.

I see the Bimini Sands is offering a winter all inclusive package. Do they offer anything for summer? Obviously it's going to be a bit more $$$$ being the busy season.

Could anyone recommend booking directly through Bimini Sands/Big Game Club/etc. or would getting a place off VRBO or homeaway be the smarter way to go?
Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Everything I read says for firsttimers do bimini, so that's the plan.

I see the Bimini Sands is offering a winter all inclusive package. Do they offer anything for summer? Obviously it's going to be a bit more $$$$ being the busy season.

Could anyone recommend booking directly through Bimini Sands/Big Game Club/etc. or would getting a place off VRBO or homeaway be the smarter way to go?
Book directly with the resort.....Bimini Sands is a condo where owners can rent them through the Property Association or rent them themselves (VRBO type deal) but if something is wrong when you arrive and the owners are in America you are going to be frustrated. If you rented direct from the resort then they can fix whatever is wrong.
Big Game is simply a resort, no individual owners. Resorts Worldwide (formerly Bimini Bay) is a resort but the units are owned like Bimini Sands so you can rent through the resort or from individual owners.

You really just should plan to do the Poker Run with FPC.....easy trip and Stu and Jackie know all the good spots in the Bahamas!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is to fly to Great Abaco, Marsh Harbor. Then rent a boat, we rented a 23' for about $200 or so per day. Book a resort and do all your own exploring. We stayed at Lubbers Landing and loved it. Hope Town looks very nice as well. There are small islands all over the place. We are going to try Exuma this year.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

For me, it's about taking my boat across the stream to another country. Too cool. Bimini has been my choice.
Don't care if we sleep on the boats.
Only 50mi. and no big deal to those who do it but I haven't and want to.
Gotta get our passports... sux you have to pay to be able to get back home.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch the 10 part You tube video of the guys that did what you are talking about on a small jet boat and a wave runner. seems like they even camped all or most of it.450 miles or so for the total trip to Bimini to Exuma and back.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be staying on my boat as well. Weather on the hook some, and a marina night or too as well. So what is your plan once you make the corssing?

I want to make the crossing to say i have dont it, not just fly over.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog88
For me, it's about taking my boat across the stream to another country. Too cool. Bimini has been my choice.
you don't have to pay anything to reenter the US, and also good to see other parts of the world!

Last edited by pstorti; 01-17-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
I would be staying on my boat as well. Weather on the hook some, and a marina night or too as well. So what is your plan once you make the corssing?

I want to make the crossing to say i have dont it, not just fly over.
Got a/c? No a/c then forget staying on the boat especially during the summer! The thing you will treasure the most is a hotel room after a long day in the sun.

If you are worried about theft, forget about it the Bahamians don't want loud, go fasts. They prefer Yamaha powered center consoles with lots of fishing gear aboard. I left my boat at West End for 2 days while I was staying in Grand Bahama (45 mins. away by cab)and never even checked on the boat..... Everything was fine when I returned.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Underdog88

Passports are always good to have and they are good for 10 years so amortize the cost over a decade!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Book directly with the resort.....Bimini Sands is a condo where owners can rent them through the Property Association or rent them themselves (VRBO type deal) but if something is wrong when you arrive and the owners are in America you are going to be frustrated. If you rented direct from the resort then they can fix whatever is wrong.
Big Game is simply a resort, no individual owners. Resorts Worldwide (formerly Bimini Bay) is a resort but the units are owned like Bimini Sands so you can rent through the resort or from individual owners.

You really just should plan to do the Poker Run with FPC.....easy trip and Stu and Jackie know all the good spots in the Bahamas!
I always rent directly from owners and have had good luck that way cheaper also than direct from the resort in my experience, the unit we usually rent sleeps 6 although 2 people sleep in a loft bedroom but I've done it and its fine. If anyone wants the ladys number PM me. Also you can just rent a slip from Bimini sands, they have showers and laundry and pools.

The crossing is not as big of a deal as some of you are making it out to be. In my boat going 40 it takes 1:40 dock to dock, for most of you cruising at 60 its just over an hour, as long as you don't go on a day that is windy it is a piece of cake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.