Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New to Forums here (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30746-new-forums-here.html)

lakemead1 08-12-2002 03:46 PM

New to Forums here

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums here and wanted to drop in and say hi to all! Actually that, and ask a few questions.

Leading into the questions, here's a bit of background. I run a small group of performance boaters out of Las Vegas - www.lasvegashotboats.com 100% of my boating to date is on the freshwater, Mead, Havasu, Powell, Mohave, and several lakes in Utah when I lived up there last year.

I'm originally from So Cal and visit a bit, I would love to get out on the big blue ocean occassionally but certainly not with the boat I currently have. I've got a 2000 Essex Vortex 22ft. with a 454. I absolutely love it because it's rock solid and very reliable.

The questions are these: In the future (hopefully near future) I'd like to upgrade in size. I would like to occassionally (maybe a trip or two a year) tow down to Newport and cruise to Catalina for a weekend or something, so i want a boat big enough and reliable enough for that. That being said, I'm looking at the 29 Essex Alondra as a possibility, and also the 28 Howard Bullet.

I'm not familiar with offshore boats only and would like some advice so I know what to start looking into further. Money is a factor, but I want quality so I'd be willing to go used instead of new, maybe 1999 or newer depending on price.

What's a good size where you feel somewhat comfortable on the pacific? Would you say 29 is the minimum, or is that even too small? What are a couple of good manufacturers I should look at aside from Howard and Essex, and are those even good for this purpose? Open or closed bow, does that make a difference? I'd rather have an open bow because 95% of my boating will still be freshwater. What about power? Does that just depend on the size of boat? Is there a minimum power package I should look at like the 496 Mag HO? How do you guys that have a similar boat to what I'm describing/looking for like the cruise to catalina?

Well, that's alot of questions. I would appreciate any advice you may have for me.

Thanks!

Greg
Lakemead1
www.lasvegashotboats.com

cigarette1 08-12-2002 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I were looking at under 30', I would look for as much freeboard as possible and I wouldn't consider an open bow.

I've run to Catalina plenty of times in a 24 footer and have come back in nasty conditions.

sean stinson 08-13-2002 04:36 AM

Greg

I have done alot of boating on Mead and have several people that I have done business with from there. If you have ever seen three Cigarettes over there that show up every now and then for short stints or a Baja 442. Those are boats I have done. But if you are looking to go up in size and you want the best of both worlds, let me point you in a direction. I did a 30' Cigarette for a client from Vegas that has only used it one weekend. If it has 10 hours on it I would be surprised. 500 efi's the best of the best of the best of everything down to the $4,000.00 set of Hering props on it. He wants to sell it and is motivated on a cash deal, no trades, no buy now & pay later, but on a straight cash deal it could probably be had in the upper 100's. It's an extremely trick piece so don't flinch yet. Now then if you ever boat out of Calville Marina his brother has one up on a hoist on the third covered dock I believe. It is silver with blue flames that rip up onto the deck with red drives XR Bravos. Go take a sneek peek and then get ahold of John Grooms or Matt Delisio @ Dick Simon Marine. That boat is the **** of 30' boats. If you need additional info please feel free to contact me @ 949 289-0059........Oh and welcome to insanity bro!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

lakemead1 08-13-2002 05:18 PM

I only wish that was in my budget. I know that the quality is there, as well as the aesthetics and power. Unfortunately, I'm not quite in that price range. I will sneak a peek at the boat though on Saturday when I go out.

Thanks a ton for the info and advice. I really appreciate it as I'm wanting to learn more about the saltwater world and be a part of both!

Next time you're out this way stop by the site and drop me a note, first round on me :)

Greg

www.lasvegashotboats.com

cigarette1 08-13-2002 06:05 PM

lakemead1,

Actually, I am selling my boat. Personally, I feel you can't go wrong with it. Take a look and see what you think. Call me if you have any questions.

Look here:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/28660428.htm

G

sean stinson 08-14-2002 02:18 AM

Greg,

G-Money's (Cig1) is a real nice piece and he maintains this thing like...I don't know there are no words to describe it....think of it as the first time you ever got some back in school or something....OK maybe that's a little too much detail....but all in all it's extremely clean, turn key, put gas in it and go offshore boat....And one last thing!!!! It has "The Big Red One" on the side of it.

Sean

lakemead1 08-14-2002 12:00 PM

Sweet boat Cig! If I was able to do it right now I'd be down your way to check it out in a hurry. Hopefully it won't be available later in the year(for you), but if it is, I'll check back in with ya.

My guess is that Cig's hold their value really well given the quality and construction of the boat.

I'm hearing some good things about the 29 Lavey too... any opinions?

velocitoy 08-15-2002 06:06 PM

HEY LAKEMEAD 1>>>>>>>>>>>>I hope you don't think I'm following you around....HAHA.......LAVEY was the boat I was thinking of that was doing it on the offshore circuit.......I don't know tho....that guys CIG looks awful tempting !!!!!!Glad this YOUR decision..............................GOOD LUCK>>>>>>>>>>>

cigarette1 08-15-2002 06:25 PM

Thanks Sean ... it is clean, but, not as clean as that High-school trim we used to get back in the day. :cool:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-15-2002 07:16 PM

GREG Welcome to the board!!! Thanks for the LINK to your boat club. I added it to my website @ WWW.SHARKEYMARINE.COM My personal site for all HI- PERFORMANCE BOATS & LINKS.

Enjoy the madness here. It's addictive.....:D :D :D