Hell of a deal on a Tiger? >

Hell of a deal on a Tiger?

Notices

Hell of a deal on a Tiger?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

80K for a T/S You guys are killing me- Guess this world can just bury my azz in My T/S!!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really like the paint on the "tony the tiger" boat and doesn't look to be in great shape. The cheap Teleflex tilt steering might be a sign that it was maintained on a tight budget. I don't mind the paint on the 04 and it shows well in the pix although those pictures are probably several years old. Says engines are recently rebuilt but I appreciate the 525 boats are more desirable. Why is that by the way? Are there issues with the 575s besides being too much power for the bravos? Anyway, I'm only window shopping but I hope to own a Tiger some day and its good know they can be had for reasonable money.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, $80k T/S TG's in "nice shape" are VERY few and far between (today anyway). Like most 'deals', they typically have underling issues needing significant work and/or money thrown at them. Sure you can buy T/S's for under $100k, but they will likely not be super clean and most likely need attention so IMO it's silly to say T/S TG's are now mid $80k boats, just because one or two can be bought at that price point. Even if someone finds a true 'deal' that doesn't need work, that doesn't mean that's where the market is for the rest of the inventory out there, they were just lucky enough to get a true deal. The reality is truly nice turnkey T/S TG's will certainly bring over $100k and boats priced below $95k most likely need some attention or have some issues... even if the pictures you saw of the boat on the Internet looked nice.

Regarding Tiger values, I've been watching them for many years. They seem to be about on par or priced slightly above similar TG models. IMO, they are a relative value compared to TG's. They are great boats, look stunning, and will walk a TG in bigger water, but for some reason they have never had a strong following. I think a lot of that has to do with the crap Bravo/XR drives, which even behind relatively mild power, they do not last long under such a big boat (hell the things don't even last behind a TG). The bottom on the Tiger is known to be a little unstable above 95 mph, but the reality is most of them wont run above that anyway, and certainly not for long with Bravo's behind them! So again, I suspect these things have something to do with the devaluation of these boats. If this isn't an issue for you, the Tiger IMO is a nicer looking boat (gotta love the long deck) and will out run a TG all day long in bigger water, so for equal money that makes them a very attractive option IMO.

I agree with the above comments about it gets easy to throw a lot of money into these boats. I have a friend with a Tiger. He also got a 'great deal' on it several years ago, but I'm sure he'd be the first to say he's dumped a lot of money into it to bring it to the level it's at today. He's touched up the paint, redone the engines, exhaust, and replaced the junk Bravos's with IMCO SCX drives. All of this has no doubt been costly, but today the boat is as sharp as anything else out there, basically like new, and almost bulletproof. If someone sees something out there they really like and plan to keep for a while, sometimes it can make sense to go buy the 'deal' and pour some money into it which might otherwise end up being too costly for someone else. This way you end up with exactly what you want, which can't otherwise be found on the used market. With that said, if you can find your ideal boat that's already had all the money and work thrown at it, you'll probably come out far ahead to go that route, even if you have to pay a premium for it (sorry, these typically aren't found at the $85k price point).

Good luck on your Tiger hunt!

Just my two cents.

Last edited by SS930; 01-22-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

SS930........several good points but remember a TS TG was only 220-240 new in 2000/01!

Also being a 10-12-14 year old performance boat, they are all going to have issues. Even "mint" boats have sold on here only for the new owners to get stuck with big repair bills (Jeremy's 46 RR comes to mind as well as Joe's Gladiator from Pier 57). So buying older boats has to be a deal or they won't sell.....like this 2004 42 that has been for sale for years!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

+1
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
SS930........several good points but remember a TS TG was only 220-240 new in 2000/01!

Also being a 10-12-14 year old performance boat, they are all going to have issues. Even "mint" boats have sold on here only for the new owners to get stuck with big repair bills (Jeremy's 46 RR comes to mind as well as Joe's Gladiator from Pier 57). So buying older boats has to be a deal or they won't sell.....like this 2004 42 that has been for sale for years!
Here's the other thing, we are all into boats and generally know a good amount about them, but the average person has no idea what IMCO SCX drives or CMI Gen X headers are, and they wont pay for either. So, when you sink all that money into a boat expect to get very little of it back compared to an original, stock boat of the same vintage. To be honest, it would most likely work out better for the sellers in the grand scheme of things if they they pulled all of the aftermarket stuff off the boats, put the stock stuff back on and then sold their aftermarket engines/drives, etc., here on OSO.

I know that happened with my Cigarette a bunch of times. Do you know how many people called and said, "If you swapped your 1200's and dry sixes for Merc 700's and NXT's, I would buy the boat." Of course there was never any money put up to do it, but it was the general consensus.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516927[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by SS930
I
I agree with the above comments about it gets easy to throw a lot of money into these boats. I have a friend with a Tiger. He also got a 'great deal' on it several years ago, but I'm sure he'd be the first to say he's dumped a lot of money into it to bring it to the level it's at today. He's touched up the paint, redone the engines, exhaust, and replaced the junk Bravos's with IMCO SCX drives. All of this has no doubt been costly, but today the boat is as sharp as anything else out there, basically like new, and almost bulletproof. If someone sees something out there they really like and plan to keep for a while, sometimes it can make sense to go buy the 'deal' and pour some money into it which might otherwise end up being too costly for someone else. This way you end up with exactly what you want, which can't otherwise be found on the used market. With that said, if you can find your ideal boat that's already had all the money and work thrown at it, you'll probably come out far ahead to go that route, even if you have to pay a premium for it (sorry, these typically aren't found at the $85k price point).

Just my two cents.
Originally Posted by 302Sport
+1

Here's the other thing, we are all into boats and generally know a good amount about them, but the average person has no idea what IMCO SCX drives or CMI Gen X headers are, and they wont pay for either. So, when you sink all that money into a boat expect to get very little of it back compared to an original, stock boat of the same vintage. To be honest, it would most likely work out better for the sellers in the grand scheme of things if they they pulled all of the aftermarket stuff off the boats, put the stock stuff back on and then sold their aftermarket engines/drives, etc., here on OSO.
I'm in the process of doing all the above right now on my 2005 39' Cigarette.....
SCX Drives, 525 getting redone now at Potters, all new Interior etc... in the last year and half I have a lot of cash into my boat that I have only owned for 16 months!! Plan is to keep it awhile and use it at this point.
Attached Thumbnails Hell of a deal on a Tiger?-image.jpg   Hell of a deal on a Tiger?-image.jpg   Hell of a deal on a Tiger?-imco.jpg  

Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation

I don't know what they sold for new, but I know what they cost new today and what they are selling for in the used market today... something really nice is $100k+, boats selling for less can certainly be had and might move faster, but as I mentioned they will likely need work (which can often be far more expensive in the long run). Obviously there's never any guarantee that paying more will mean not having issues with any used boat, but generally speaking, the premium boats people are paying more for are typically in nice shape. At the other end of the spectrum, many (most) of the low dollar deals that sell fast have significant known issues, whether it's stated or not. Someone else in this thread referenced a great "deal" that was recently sold above. I know for a fact it needed a lot of money thrown at that 'deal' and once that's added in it certainly wouldn't make it so much of a deal anymore. More often than not, you get what you pay for. There are certainly exceptions, but generally speaking that still holds true today.

BTW, Jeremy's 46 RR was practically given away when he sold it, it was sold WAY below market value. I'm sorry to hear someone had issues with it, that boat was said to be all fresh (which I have no reason to believe it wasn't), yet it was also 'given' away... I have no idea about Joe's Glad.

True, but those items to bring a premium, granted not $0.95 on the dollar, but boats with upgraded drives do bring in premium. I don't know what Frank spent upgrading his XR's, but by the time he sold his functional XR's and paid for the SCX's, I don't think he was into that upgrade for as much as most would think... I suspect he was money ahead in resale value, not having to rebuy sh!tbox XR's seasonally, and the fact that he doesn't have to paddle the boat home with his family or customers on board is probably worth the investment itself. But to your point, adding after-market goodies seldom is a worthwhile investment if you're looking at it from a monetary standpoint. In this case I think Frank's investment in those SCX drives was a wise one in every way, and something Tiger owners and everyone else with a 36'+ Bravo boat should consider as well... but you and I feel the same way about Bravo's anyway.

I know that happened with my Cigarette a bunch of times. Do you know how many people called and said, "If you swapped your 1200's and dry sixes for Merc 700's and NXT's, I would buy the boat." Of course there was never any money put up to do it, but it was the general consensus.
The flip-side is you/your dad bought that boat at a deep discount, solely because it was an undesirable package... You got a 'deal' paying $0.60 on the dollar for this reason, so nobody should be surprised when it didn't resell for what the much more desirable factory Merc packages with more attractive paint are selling for. There was nothing wrong with that boat, but it's yet another example of a 'deal' not being such a huge deal.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
IMO, $80k T/S TG's in "nice shape" are VERY few and far between (today anyway). Like most 'deals', they typically have underling issues needing significant work and/or money thrown at them. Sure you can buy T/S's for under $100k, but they will likely not be super clean and most likely need attention so IMO it's silly to say T/S TG's are now mid $80k boats, just because one or two can be bought at that price point. Even if someone finds a true 'deal' that doesn't need work, that doesn't mean that's where the market is for the rest of the inventory out there, they were just lucky enough to get a true deal. The reality is truly nice turnkey T/S TG's will certainly bring over $100k and boats priced below $95k most likely need some attention or have some issues... even if the pictures you saw of the boat on the Internet looked nice.

Regarding Tiger values, I've been watching them for many years. They seem to be about on par or priced slightly above similar TG models. IMO, they are a relative value compared to TG's. They are great boats, look stunning, and will walk a TG in bigger water, but for some reason they have never had a strong following. I think a lot of that has to do with the crap Bravo/XR drives, which even behind relatively mild power, they do not last long under such a big boat (hell the things don't even last behind a TG). The bottom on the Tiger is known to be a little unstable above 95 mph, but the reality is most of them wont run above that anyway, and certainly not for long with Bravo's behind them! So again, I suspect these things have something to do with the devaluation of these boats. If this isn't an issue for you, the Tiger IMO is a nicer looking boat (gotta love the long deck) and will out run a TG all day long in bigger water, so for equal money that makes them a very attractive option IMO.

Good luck on your Tiger hunt!

Just my two cents.

agreed especially on the TG T/S comments.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

A couple of them are members on here and they can PM you if they want but most of the deals out there now are boats that aren't listed anywhere, just word of mouth. I think that in most cases they were boats that were listed over the course of the last couple years and the owners pulled them off the market but if you kept a list or contacts and got in contact with the owners and had cash in hand they would sell in a minute.

I'm not saying they are everywhere and you most likely have to really shake the bushes to find them but I know of 2-3 nice ones right now.

There's been a couple of nice 04 525 boats that sold around $110k, so that tells you right there that any 2000-2003 non merc powered boat is a sub $100k boat.
Adam you know I love you but you have a warped sense of reality. I need to read this whole thread and will plenty to comment on, as you and many other jnow I own a Tiger that I invested a lot of money in and can tell you all the pro's and con's of one (all boats have them). But you are saying my boat is worth sub $100K while Kevin's boat (non Mercury power( a 1988 Top Gun still brings in $69k? Makes no sense. As one of the other posts already stated let someone buy a 12 year old boat for $110,000 and turn around and do the maintance an updates needed and they will be all in around $130-$150k anyways. So no deal there. Remember there an a$$ for every seat....it took how long for them to sell your turbine boat????
Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 4195
Adam you know I love you but you have a warped sense of reality. I need to read this whole thread and will plenty to comment on, as you and many other jnow I own a Tiger that I invested a lot of money in and can tell you all the pro's and con's of one (all boats have them). But you are saying my boat is worth sub $100K while Kevin's boat (non Mercury power( a 1988 Top Gun still brings in $69k? Makes no sense. As one of the other posts already stated let someone buy a 12 year old boat for $110,000 and turn around and do the maintance an updates needed and they will be all in around $130-$150k anyways. So no deal there. Remember there an a$$ for every seat....it took how long for them to sell your turbine boat????
Not saying yours is worth $100K at all. I'm saying this 42 with 575's and standard bravos is worth $100K to make it go down the road. http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o12578-en.html

Your boat has SCX's and fresh Zuls. There is a big difference, but with that said at the end of the day it is simple, the more money that is put into a boat on upgrades, the less money the owner has in his pocket out the backside when it does sell. For example, if you had done nothing to your boat, and I mean nothing, except fix what broke, do you think you would be ahead of where you are now if and when the time comes to sell? I have always looked at the boats that I have owned, kind of like people look at investment properties, and really scrutinized every dollar that was sunk into them. If you loose site of that, then you will be buried in the boat very quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.