Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Donzi 38ZX vs. Black Thunder 43 >

Donzi 38ZX vs. Black Thunder 43

Notices

Donzi 38ZX vs. Black Thunder 43

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better have diesel dually for both....see ya at Boyne with the Donzi!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

The BT has got all the good stuff, creature comfort wise, thats for sure. Genny, AC, power bolsters, and a fantastic cabin. Ist time I was in one I was very impressed.

One other thing to consider between both boats. The Donzi has a bolstered back seat. I had one in one of my 33avs's. While I liked it, the look of it, etc., when it came time to hauling people, sometimes it was an inconvenience and would get in the way. The wife couldnt lay down and sun on the backseat while underway, when not allowed on hatch, and it wasnt very kid friendly when rafted up and they wanted to move around. Just throwing it out there.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 32 Active Thunder
I know where there is a 38zx yellow and black in Cleveland Ohio 525 sc motors 1 owner dry stacked its whole life pm me if interested I can get you in touch with the owner
This boat would be worth looking at, it was on the showroom floor next to mine and i did some minor touch up and detailing for the owner back when it was brand new. Always impressed me with how well the boat was cared for. Saw it last year (pic) out on the cleaning rack when i was looking at another boat in that marina. Looked good . . ..

Originally Posted by scarabman
The BT has got all the good stuff, creature comfort wise, thats for sure. Genny, AC, power bolsters, and a fantastic cabin. Ist time I was in one I was very impressed.

One other thing to consider between both boats. The Donzi has a bolstered back seat. I had one in one of my 33avs's. While I liked it, the look of it, etc., when it came time to hauling people, sometimes it was an inconvenience and would get in the way. The wife couldnt lay down and sun on the backseat while underway, when not allowed on hatch, and it wasnt very kid friendly when rafted up and they wanted to move around. Just throwing it out there.
I agree with the bolstered rear bench. Looks cool but in function its a bit of an obstruction (ilke a lot of things on the boat ). I mostly didn't like it while docked and hanging out on the boat. A friend of mine has a 38ZX without the partitions and the rear bench is super comfortable to lay on without them.

Man that BT has a cavernous cabin, pretty cool. I still vote ZX all the way, like i said despite my whining about the little things you will love the boat.
Attached Thumbnails Donzi 38ZX vs. Black Thunder 43-rays-38zx.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My tow rig is a 2500HD SRW Duramax. That's the other issue, I would be at ease a lot more with the ZX. My gf loves the BT cabin, camper top and genny. I just need to find a reason she would want the ZX more.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly your truck is also a short bed? I wouldnt want to tow the BT any long distance with that short wheel base. Both boats look super nice but I would pick the Donzi and it should tow OK with your current truck.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably be one of the rare guys pulling for the BT, but you already answered your own question. If you aren't upgrading your truck, the BT is a non starter. Even the ZX is going to be on the edge I think.

But I'd bet you know the pro's and con's of each already don't need our help.
ZX: looks, speed, trailering, less crowd/family friendly
BT: comfort, unparalleled ride, lots of room to entertain
Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the ZX personally, for pretty much all of the reasons everyone has said. Towing, looks, speed, etc...
Old 02-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

On the performance side: are you doing any poker runs? If so, you're going to be left wanting with the speed of the BT.

When it comes to comfort the Donzi is better than 80% of boats out there. So it's quite good. Just tough when you compare to the BT.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Once you get to 38' what is 5 more Matt? LOL. Decisions decisions can't wait to see which boat you get to see who wears the pants in the house.ROTFLMAO
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboat28
Once you get to 38' what is 5 more Matt? LOL. Decisions decisions can't wait to see which boat you get to see who wears the pants in the house.ROTFLMAO
Are we taking bets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.