Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Quadcopter video of my boat >

Quadcopter video of my boat

Notices

Quadcopter video of my boat

Old 01-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the phantom vision 2 allows you t tilt the camera up or down, but you have to rotate the copter to pan side to side. Also there is no zoom while operating the camera.
Very easy to fly.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by polsprung
What kind of fish was that? Great vid, loved the running portion and music.
Dolphin, Mammal and thanks! it took less time to make the video with iMovie than it did to upload it.

Last edited by pstorti; 01-28-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Very impressive!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Thats so much more stable than I expected! How is it to fly?
I'm thinkin' I HAVE to get one of these!
Very easy to fly, yes get one it is awesome!

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
.....and Does it float?
Hell no!

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
The phantom II that is the one that comes with the camera and pod already mounted correct.Can you control the camera seperate from the copter.I mean can the copter be stationary and you can move the camera .I'm not up on all this stuff but nice job on the video.JOHN SR
Originally Posted by beertruck
the phantom vision 2 allows you t tilt the camera up or down, but you have to rotate the copter to pan side to side. Also there is no zoom while operating the camera.
Very easy to fly.
So there are two Phantom 2 models, I have this one http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/ You have to buy the GoPro Hero3 separately but this one comes with an active 2D stabilizing gimbal which keeps the camera level almost no matter what the copter is doing. The tilt is controlled from the remote from 0 to -90.
The second version is the Phantom 2 Vision, comes with the camera integrated, but no gimbal, also has the hardware already installed to see what the camera sees on a tablet or smartphone, and remotely control video stop start and take photos.

I chose the Gopro version because I believe that the gimbal makes the video quality much better and I think the video proves it. That was my 4th and 5th time flying it and it looks like I know what I'm doing! I can take 4.5 hours of 1080 video with the Gopro so no need to worry about stopping and starting it, also it can be set up to take video and photos at the same time so no need to take photos on command. The other reason not to get the Vision is the tablet control and remote viewing are things that can be added to the regular phantom 2. There are lots of videos on the DJI site that explain a lot of it, if somebody has other questions PM me your number and i'll try to answer them, I am by no means an expert.

Both versions allow you to remotely control the camera tilt but to point in any other direction you have to rotate the copter.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

pstorti, great job. I watched the one you did at your house looked like you might trim the bushes towards the end lol. How deep is the water you guys where in and what was that submerged rectangular thing on the bottom just after the fish shots. Thanks. j
Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Link said EMI blocked the video?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Link said EMI blocked the video? Through the youtube app on my phone.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job. These copters are going to change photography, especially in the marine environment… Real copters kill us with cost...
Let me know when you want to try it with another boat… It would be cool to be able to keep moving... I'll bring the MTI-V out… I have one at TNT...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I'CE
pstorti, great job. I watched the one you did at your house looked like you might trim the bushes towards the end lol. How deep is the water you guys where in and what was that submerged rectangular thing on the bottom just after the fish shots. Thanks. j
I was flying it around the marina when we came in and got to close to the palm trees it sent a bunch of green bits flying but didn't mess it up i was able to fly back away from it. When we were running it was 5-8 ft deep, the rectangular thing I think is somebody's lobster condo, I need to go back and check it out! When we were anchored it is about 4-5 feet deep there.

Originally Posted by cheech
Link said EMI blocked the video? Through the youtube app on my phone.
The second song I used has a copyright restriction apparently against being played on mobile devices. If I didn't put music on it you would have been able to watch it but its much better with the music, besides you should try to watch it on a big screen in HD at 1080!

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Great job. These copters are going to change photography, especially in the marine environment… Real copters kill us with cost...
Let me know when you want to try it with another boat… It would be cool to be able to keep moving... I'll bring the MTI-V out… I have one at TNT...
Hi Tim sounds like a plan, I have been real busy with work lately as I am sure you are as well with the Miami show coming up, PM me what you have in mind and when and lets see when we can set something up. I think I better buy some more batteries!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't fish, but if you can get real time data to the boat can you image finding the schools of fish?? Another couple more quad copter threads or one more person says how much this will change the industry I just might have to get one. Too bad the TX water does not look like that. Great video thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.