Notices

drive showers?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

I have heard that they can rob a little top end. I do not have one on my 525/XR/imco shorty
Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I have heard that they can rob a little top end. I do not have one on my 525/XR/imco shorty
That is fine. I am not a top end whore and my boat is not ran all out that often at all.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
That is fine. I am not a top end whore and my boat is not ran all out that often at all.
That was my feeling. I could care less if it scrubbed a tiny bit off the top end, my boats have never been the fastest in the bunch, nor did I ever give a hoot either.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Simreks and they are great. But, it's not as easy an install with external hydraulic steering. You'll have to grind off a part of the mounting ring to make it fit over the steering connection on the top of the drive. I'd recommend the Simrek though, simple design but very effective.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I heard the same thing and was told by fellow OSO'ers that my skeg guard also is robbing me of speed.

So last summer I tested it. Friday after work went out. 55 MPH, on gps..(same as it always been) Removed drive shower, and skeg guard Saturday morning, went back and guess what......... 55 MPH on gps (plus I was probably a little lighter since I didnt re fuel). This was my findings, first hand, real world testing.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
That was my feeling. I could care less if it scrubbed a tiny bit off the top end, my boats have never been the fastest in the bunch, nor did I ever give a hoot either.
This is my exact feelings.

Get there at s good and fun speed and riding nice and pretty.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
I have the Simreks and they are great. But, it's not as easy an install with external hydraulic steering. You'll have to grind off a part of the mounting ring to make it fit over the steering connection on the top of the drive. I'd recommend the Simrek though, simple design but very effective.
Doesn't sound too bad if that's the worse I have to do. I am definitely going to pick up a pair now.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
I heard the same thing and was told by fellow OSO'ers that my skeg guard also is robbing me of speed.

So last summer I tested it. Friday after work went out. 55 MPH, on gps..(same as it always been) Removed drive shower, and skeg guard Saturday morning, went back and guess what......... 55 MPH on gps (plus I was probably a little lighter since I didnt re fuel). This was my findings, first hand, real world testing.
I like to see real world testing like that. Others have reported losing 2-3 mph from the extra drag. I DO care about top speed. I've also seen conflicting reports of drive oil temp reduction with a shower. I think that a drive oil temp gauge with sender installed near the top would be the acid test.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I like to see real world testing like that. Others have reported losing 2-3 mph from the extra drag. I DO care about top speed. I've also seen conflicting reports of drive oil temp reduction with a shower. I think that a drive oil temp gauge with sender installed near the top would be the acid test.
2-3 mph seems like a huge exaggeration IMO. I've seen simreks and other showers put on several boats and if there is a performance hit it is not noticeable. Weather conditions and weight in the boat by far impact top end more than those showers will. All showers don't cool the top cap effectively, so there probably are conflicting results across different drive showers. My experience is the simreks are effective.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Choice one or two on this page:

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...e=driveshowers

These are a great setup IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.