Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When should I try and sell my boat? >

When should I try and sell my boat?

Notices

When should I try and sell my boat?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should I try and sell my boat?

Hello, I am wanting to sell my boat so I can purchase a little more family friendly boat. My boat is currently winterized, covered and put up for the winter. I am wanting to sell before memorial day so I can use the money from the Fountain and by an open bow," I know, booo open bow" but two kids and a wife makes the boat cramped. Is it even worth my time listing it now, or should I just wait until the spring. I would be open to dewinterize if buyer had cash in hand but you know how that goes. Any ideas, list it now or be patient? I just would hate to miss some of the boating season as it's short enough as it is in Indiana!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Put it up today! It may take some time to sell.The more time it's for sale the more people will see it and talk about it. You never know who wants to have one before spring. I bought my boat last year 3rd week of Feb. and pulled it home in a snow storm! Good luck on your sell.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would list it now as well, people seem to get cabin fever and start to look pretty hard this time of year.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

List it now, all the same reasons as above. The more pictures the better, hate it when someone posts a single pic of a boat under a blue tarp and wonders why they didn't get any calls.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming your boat is in good condition, how fast it sells depends a lot on price and where you are located but it will probably still take you a few months regardless unless you are giving it away. People that want to be in a new boat by this season are going to be looking pretty soon if not already. Just look at the OSO classifieds, lots of action there the past few weeks. You also want to test your price before you get close to the season when you will get more anxious to sell. If you get lucky now and have to dewinterize, it should only be with a cash deposit and a signed purchase agreement.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Sounds like some good advice, I believe that I will try and get it posted within the next couple of days on here first. Plenty of pictures will be posted as I agree it's awful to see one pic. Boat is a 99 27 fever garage kept entire life with sub 300 hours,even less hours on the 509 mpi with blower It will be priced less than 30,000 does that sound about right...????
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

List it now as you want to have it up as spring approaches, that's when I started getting calls last year on my 25ol.

BUT, all you need is a boat with bigger cockpit. We went thru the same ordeal, I was even looking at CC sport boats, i.e. scarab 302 sport, almost pulled trigger but wife want sunpad so I went back to my original plan of a Baja 302 that has a large cockpit...

Well, we ended up with a 33 outlaw.. Pros - twins, (backup as we boat alone with another family on board) enclosed head, (kid emergencies), stove/sink/head/bed (tax writeoff), 33ft (smooth ride in 2-3's for kids)

We love our boat.. I don't have the 2nd set of bolsters but have 2 54qt ice chests I run along each gunnel with pad for seating and use of coolers!!!