Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First time buying a boat - Please help me out fellas - Looking at a 35' Nordic Flame >

First time buying a boat - Please help me out fellas - Looking at a 35' Nordic Flame

Notices

First time buying a boat - Please help me out fellas - Looking at a 35' Nordic Flame

Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have owned three 35 Nordic's. Bought each one new and absolutely loved them. The 525 package is perfect for this boat, fast, sleek and lots of cockpit and cabin space.

Check this one out. You'll be hard pressed to find a cleaner 35 Nordic anywhere.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o55463-en.html
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermt84
Here is the boat: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/14214

I've never owned a boat before. I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you veterans out there.

This boat is a 2006 with twin merc 525's and 236 hours (isn't this a ton of hours)??

Does anyone know anything about this particular boat?

Thanks a million for your time and help.

Cheers

Need more input before anyone should be giving advice.

Where do you live?
Where do you plan to boat?
What do you plan to do on your boat? (day on the water, long weekends sleeping on the boat, poker runs. lots of trailer travel to different places, etc. etc.)
Who's going to be on the boat? (you, the wife, and 2.5 kids, a group of buddys, strippers from the local single mom's club. etc. etc)

The answers to these questions will dictate which boat is right for you. It may be a Nordic, this one even; or may not be anything of the sort.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you can insure it. Insurance companies are running away from performance boats that will run 75+ MPH. Especially when the insured has little or no seat time.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy what you want if you can afford it cool! Just take it easy and learn with it. I've been boating for years and bought my first cat on Labor Day and it's a whole different animal. When I turn going 30 it feels like it wants to lean but at 65 it smooth as glass . I have a ton to learn myself and even if I didn't buy a cat I learned every time I went out in one of our boats be it the pontoon, crownline,ranger or even seadoos. Thing is seat time just like a drag car my first time scared the **** out of me. Now when tires are pointing north and it's almost on the bumper leaving it's just feels natural. Main thing is watch your throttles and other people. I like to look as far ahead as I can including a boat half mile away and his wake. Another thing I've learned is with speed and wakes watch the kids in back my 7 year old was in the air and I didn't know it so just be safe. Since that incident I bought these little remote kill switches that when anyone leaves a certain radius it kills the boat. At first it was funny and she liked it but that night sitting on my dock the what ifs sat in and I didn't like that feeling at all. Just have fun it's not a race every time unless family isn't with you lol! Enjoy...
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 4,294 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

Hi welcome to OSO you must be new.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok Silver.. Here is the deal.. I agree with the other member who said buy all the boat you can afford. I AM SURE you can find some with big boat experience to go out with ya and show you the ropes. I live in Florida so that paint job, which is a work of art, would not work for me. That may not be your situation. The Price is a little high . I would try to settle on 75-85. Last thing I can tell ya is TODAY IS THE YOUNGEST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. If you can afford it, dont mind the black and will let someone help you learn how to drive it then BUY IT.. I have driven all kinds of boats and that size boat will be a little harder to learn how to dock. It is not a stupid fast boat so i think you will be able to handle the speed after a couple trips out with a friend. There is a special relationship you will aquire with your first nice boat. Hard to explain but you will understand once you get her out on the open water.She will thrill you,bring you lots of admiration and she will also let you down.. Probably a lot.. But in the end I and everyone on her will tell you its worth it... Enjoy your boat.

Chris
Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with a nice 25' boat for your first one. It wont be so overwhelming. The boats I would check out are Baja 25 Outlaw, Active Thunder 25, Formula 271 or 272, or a Fountain 27 Fever or Lightning. Also a Checkmate Convinsor 253 or 259.

Last edited by Captain Nick; 02-05-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

Where do you live?
Where do you plan to boat?
What do you plan to do on your boat? (day on the water, long weekends sleeping on the boat, poker runs. lots of trailer travel to different places, etc. etc.)
Who's going to be on the boat? (you, the wife, and 2.5 kids, a group of buddys, strippers from the local single mom's club. etc. etc)

The answers to these questions will dictate which boat is right for you. It may be a Nordic, this one even; or may not be anything of the sort.

yep...great post...these are great questions you should definitely ask yourself.

I didn't think of em... I'm not a salesman tho LOL.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First time boat buyer and owner that wouldnt be the boat I would be buying. I would something around the 25-26ft class and learn the ropes. Baja, formula etc. You got a big family, you going to want to fish and ski and such because you wont be doing behind this boat.

Questions I might be asking

1. Where do I boat, boat like this is going to need a descent lake or river to operate, check the ramps you go to and look at other boats on the lake if they are all pontoons this wont go on here.
2. Whats your family want to do and like?
3. Have you obtained insurance quotes for this boat? Could be thousands a year
4. Do you have the proper tow vehicle to tow it,
5. Place to store it? If not whats rack or dock space cost to rent
6. Easy part is buying it, ask around on maint cost, fuel consumption cost

All of these questions answered might point you to a boat of this caliber and might point you to a different spot. But lots of experience in here and people that have been here but a first time boat owner to go out and get a 35ft twin boat that goes 80+ just doesnt seem logical to me. And personally I would never be into a black boat, plan on waxing that thing every weekend.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I just find it strange that this dude's FIRST BOAT is a blue motor 35' capable of 90mph speeds with a stepped hull and hardly anyone here is throwing out caution warnings

Sheesh, I must be getting old and fuddy There are a million stories around here about folks getting into trouble with these things, folks with some experience no less. I mean if this dude is correct in his opening statement, he doesn't even know how to read a bouy or know what a green or red bow light or a lanyard means unless he's been on someone else's boat a million times.

Then someone posts above that the boat isn't stupid fast or go out with someone a couple times and all will be well. Man...I didn't know this type of boating was so easy.

Just chalk me up to "fossilitis" I guess. Time to get in my rubber dinghy.

Last edited by Indy; 02-05-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.