Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First time buying a boat - Please help me out fellas - Looking at a 35' Nordic Flame >

First time buying a boat - Please help me out fellas - Looking at a 35' Nordic Flame

Notices

First time buying a boat - Please help me out fellas - Looking at a 35' Nordic Flame

Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buying a boat - Please help me out fellas - Looking at a 35' Nordic Flame

Here is the boat: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/14214

I've never owned a boat before. I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you veterans out there.

This boat is a 2006 with twin merc 525's and 236 hours (isn't this a ton of hours)??

Does anyone know anything about this particular boat?

Thanks a million for your time and help.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first boat....go buy a 25' Baja first and get use to it first so you don't kll yourself..that alloy ot boat for a first timer...
Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 AM
Registered

Think the ad says 131 hours?
Never owned a boat before, does that mean you haven't driven one before? If not, think you should take FIXX
suggestion above.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 AM
Registered

All that black and red will be hot as heck in the sun. Hope your wife doesn't like to layout. You can see more of the boat at the site of the guy who painted it. Mike Lavallee of KILLER PAINT, http://www.killerpaint.com/water.html
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

the 525's had leaking header issues, I'm not up on what years but someone here is I'm sure or do a search in this forum...go for it, you get a single smaller boat you will be wanting a bigger boat with twins pretty quickly...shop around too and get a survey before you buy!!!!!!...lots of deals out there, still a buyers market...just remember if you go this route you'll have two engines and drives to feed and service....I assume you have operated or owned none performance boats???
Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with just about everything written so far. A lot of boat for a first time owner but I also agree that once you've been bitten you will want bigger so not sure I would steer your clear of a twin boat but you will have a steeper learning curve and that is a big boat for a first timer. You should hire a captain to take you out and give you lessons, it will be the best money you ever spend. As far as this boat, I think it's a mistake for you. That paint job while impressive will appeal to very few people and make this boat very hard to unload should you need or want to. Also agree it will get hot as hell. The 525's are one of the best motors out there, but you do have to be very careful with checking the headers, especially of the vintage this boat is. You need a good marine engine guy to do compression and leakdown tests and if you buy a 525 boat, you MUST pressure test the headers before the season. That will be the second best money you spend. If you find leaks, they can usually be welded and you will have a great season. If you don't do this and the leaks are there, you will be wishing you had because you will be looking at, at best a valve job, at worst a new motor.. For that price point, you can find a lot of great boats out there that would be more suitable for you..
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well my take . buying a boat is going to probably be a loosing adventure , so id would take my tim e and buy what i liked . and then take it easy . theres alot to learn . alot. docking could be hell on the custom paint , the best part about anything with power is there a controlle called the throttle . learn to use it sparingly till youve masterd the teckniques of owning somthing of that magnitude ,, but id buy what i want and then worry about the rest . boats are money pits . buying one just to learn how to drive .. i dont think id go that route .. unless you got a few thousand or more to throw away .. be carefull and patient and cautious . and all will be fine .. black will be a hard color to keep looking new also ..paint isnt anywhere as durable as gell also .just a reminder .
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
first boat....go buy a 25' Baja first and get use to it first so you don't kll yourself..that alloy ot boat for a first timer...
I don't agree. I get what your saying but I still don't agree. Unless you can afford to lose money then get all the boat you can for your $$.

Make sure and take Tree's class and keep your ego in check and you will be just fine.

My Sonic is my first boat and while it took a bit to get use to it's just fine now and no one got hurt, boat is not damaged, or any of those things.

Only get a 25' Baja or whatever if you want a 25' Baja
Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm with some of the others...first time boat or first time performance boat? Where do you boat, lake or big water?

First time boat then you have a looong learning curve starting with Power Squadron courses. You never beat the water, you only break even. Not sure where to start if you've never owned a boat before (this probably isn't the forum for you if that's the case, this is kind of like graduate studies), it's a completely different world and needs to be treated with respect. It's a lot of boat for a first time owner, you're going to be challenged for sure, more so if you're in big water (includes Great Lakes). Better learn how to read the weather too.

And/or if you've had a boat before and this is your first performance boat then this is fine, it's a lot of boat but like Nate5.0 said, keep your ego in check and take it slow. You can get in trouble fast with these things if you don't respect them, this forum is full of stories over the years of people getting themselves in trouble by not taking this sport seriously. You HAVE to learn about this class of boating or you will pay. Tres is the first step here.

Black = hot = not for me.

Lastly....Darr?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

you had to ad that last little bit??? you may have just run a new power boat owner/enthusiast off LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.