Notices

Need Some Help and Advice

Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help and Advice

Ok, so I bought a new sound system for my boat to replace the current one. The system that is currently in the boat has 4 8" subs under the back seat with 2 mid/high speakers. Well that isn't the route that I am going to go. I am going to go with 2 10" subs and 2 8" mid/high speakers under the back seat, so I need to fix that panel that has 4 holes for 8" subs all the way across the back seat panel. I have a 1992 24ft outlaw, and my back bench seat frame is all made out of wood. The bottom where the subs are is wrapped in carpet, then the rest is wrapped in vinyl then obviously all of the cushions that sit on it or bolt to the seat frame. I took a look and it seems just a little more complicated then just detaching that panel and putting in a new one, as I see there looks to be fibergalss in some of the seams, along with a L at the bottom of the frame that is used to screw the seat to the floor and the whole seam is fiberglassed. Has anyone done this, and can give me any advice on the best way to tackle this?

I was going to wrap the front panel in vinyl instead of carpet, as I figured it would be tough to match the carpet since its blue, and I like the white vinyl look back there. But I am second guessing that thinking the vinyl may get torn or damaged under there being in a high traffic area.

I was completely fine with taking this on thinking it was a simple remove panel and replace, but now I am a little more concerned, and want to get some direction from guys that know more about this than I do.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Registered

Sounds like the current panel was tabbed in just use a small grinder or cutting tool to cut out the panel then retab in the new ppanel
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Registered

Looks like the whole piece on the bottom is done this way, i will see if I can upload some pics tomorrow. Is the fiberglass pieces all that's holding it together?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The entire backseat will come out. It is just bolted from various locations on the sides and bottom. You have to unbolt the upolstered parts first.
Almost all of it just uses T nut fasteners.
Take it all out and then replace the lower panel.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Registered

Yea, I have the seat disassembled and out of the boat. The actual panel I need to replace has some fiberglassing of the seams, I guess I will have to just grind the fiberglass from the seams. When I put it back together I was thinking of using wood glue and the contact points and 1" by in the seams. Was thinking that would be much stronger then the current set up. What do you guys think? Is this pretty much the standard way to do this job?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I think they originally put it together with a finish nail/staple gun and then glassed it together. Its probably the easiest way. Then use some resin and glass mat at the joints.
I would coat the entire piece with a couple coats of resin to water proof it,
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

an ocillating multi tool will zip right thru the glass and is a much less itchy/scratchyer option. On my avanti the entire bak seat is part of the deck mold. I just finished cutting it out to replace the floor and tabbed it all back in. Granted this was all done at the GlassDave Academy, but it was pretty simple. Dont let a little fiberglass intimidate you. As for speaker placement, the subs are good down there, the others, not so much. low freqs. are pretty much omni directional and dont care where you put them. mids and highs are much more directional. try to get those up high as possible on the sidepanels.

Last edited by phragle; 02-07-2014 at 12:47 PM.