Help: Sunsation 36' MCOB Vs. Cigarette 38 TS

Notices

Help: Sunsation 36' MCOB Vs. Cigarette 38 TS

Old 02-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
The only reason to pick a TG over an AT is that you need hundreds of Cig emblems all over your boat so you can brag to all of your buddies that you own a Cigarette.
If I tell someone I have a Cigarette boat they inevitably ask "what brand?" And then look dumbfounded when I tell then that IS a brand.

My opinion is that nothing looks like a cig. I love the lines. But that being said you better love the little cockpit because that is about all you're going to get. Family friendly it is not, but oh man - the look......
Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Capt's Choice sent this email out this week on a 36/565 boat (runs mid 90's stock)......Their pitch is they will make the payments in 2014 (figure 20K off the sale price in lieu of the payments). Boat has Mitcher T paint, 565s and is new for 320K.......
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...n-36-102117876

SALE PRICE $ 339,900

20% Down Plus Tax and Tag

Amount Financed
$271,920
6.25 APR
$1987.84 X 12
20 Years

I love MCOB designs but this is huge money for any 36 ft boat open or closed bow.......I suspect the Tres Martin step bottom would arguably be the best offered right now (newest design, designed by a guy that knows how they work).
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by customryder
the cigarette will by far have the best resale value imo.
Originally Posted by JaayTeee

So, if you're going to do it, buy the Cig....because if it doesn't work out, you're not going to
take that bad of a beating when you go to get rid of it.

I don't think this is always the case......My buddy sold his 2007 TG and it cost him 100K in depreciation in 3 years. He had a Pantera, then a new Donzi and still complains that Cigarette cost him more than both of his previous boats! To be fair the other boats were smaller and boats were cheaper back then (10+ years prior to buying the Cig).

He is all done with boats......bought a new Ferrari 458 and drove it for free for a year, then bought the 458 Spider and made 40K on that car in 60 days and is back on the wait list for another one......He likes the cars better and they don't cost as much to insure/operate!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Capt's Choice sent this email out this week on a 36/565 boat (runs mid 90's stock)......Their pitch is they will make the payments in 2014 (figure 20K off the sale price in lieu of the payments). Boat has Mitcher T paint, 565s and is new for 320K.......
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...n-36-102117876

SALE PRICE $ 339,900

20% Down Plus Tax and Tag

Amount Financed
$271,920
6.25 APR
$1987.84 X 12
20 Years

I love MCOB designs but this is huge money for any 36 ft boat open or closed bow.......I suspect the Tres Martin step bottom would arguably be the best offered right now (newest design, designed by a guy that knows how they work).

Oh but c'mon, a 10-year-old Cig looks sooooo much better and I'm sure is running nearly 100 MPH. That Sunsation clearly is a Hyundai in a world of Bentleys. That Sunny won't catch anyone's eye around the dock and I'm sure it can't handle any bigger water than 1s or 2s.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Oh but c'mon, a 10-year-old Cig looks sooooo much better and I'm sure is running nearly 100 MPH. That Sunsation clearly is a Hyundai in a world of Bentleys. That Sunny won't catch anyone's eye around the dock and I'm sure it can't handle any bigger water than 1s or 2s.
Cig's catch my eye like a Smokey and the Bandit Firebird!

Just kidding, Cigs are great, some of their stuff was cutting edge and some of the paint over the years was timeless.......then they started building stuff like this: http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o51789-en.html
Performance wasn't great, the color clash is ridiculous and then factor in that this boat 10 years later is unchanged....wait, I take that back, the price has changed (it went up!). Fountain even re-did his interiors in 2008/09 and brought them a decade forward! Sunsation and AT have built some crazy boats over the years but they have evolved (new hulls, new models, new ideas).......Cig comes up with new paint, new places to put logos, new brand collaborations (Ducati, AMG) and they did built the electric boat (on the 12+ year old 38 TS TG hull).

Honestly can anyone say Cig has been best in show in the last 3-4 years (at Miami)? Electric boat was nice for the press, the AMG 46 was nice but not anywhere near as cool as an OL SV52 or the MTI Corvette/Theme boats. Phil has had most of the cool boats in the Cig booth and his "Voodoo 50 Marauder" was fantastic but I don't think it was in the show. The last few years the "show boats" have languished in dealer inventory for months.....When has that ever happened? In years past the boats were sold, then in the poker run the following week! How come long time/ multiple Cig owners like Tom A. or Todd F. are no longer buying "the #1?"......Kool-Aid running low or is the product getting stale?

This was in the show last year: http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o53635-en.html ..................Can anyone say this boat is a showstopper?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate depreciation but it's a given with a boat. I'm swallowing it. The cockpit concerns me with the cig. I'm taking this leap because it's the last boat I intend to buy in the next 10yrs which is why willing to spend the money.

I'm leaning towards the sunny and AT. This is how I process a purchase. Narrow, look, and buy.

I received the sunny email. I am pretty set on the 520s. They provide everything I want and need. Again, reliability is huge for me.

No tower on this boat. Lol if it gets to that point I'll buy a used mastercraft.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Registered

BTW......Cig has #1 brand recognition among offshore boats. But then again Levis jeans, Marlboro, Harley Davidson, Kodak/Polaroid, etc were all #1 American brands for years as well....but without innovation they stumbled, some never recovered. Look at how many offshore brands have closed in the last 10 years, how many are just treading water like Pantera?

You cannot survive on trophies from the 70s/80s, stories from the old days and t-shirt sales!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, I'm pretty bent on a mcob which why the ability to do a one off with AT is pretty cool
Old 02-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 4,272 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Way to start a "versus" thread buddy.
Lots will be accomplished here for sure

Old 02-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
I hate depreciation but it's a given with a boat. I'm swallowing it. The cockpit concerns me with the cig. I'm taking this leap because it's the last boat I intend to buy in the next 10yrs which is why willing to spend the money.

I'm leaning towards the sunny and AT. This is how I process a purchase. Narrow, look, and buy.

I received the sunny email. I am pretty set on the 520s. They provide everything I want and need. Again, reliability is huge for me.

No tower on this boat. Lol if it gets to that point I'll buy a used mastercraft.
Are you going to the Miami boat show? I think that would be a nice opportunity to check out all the choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.