Help: Sunsation 36' MCOB Vs. Cigarette 38 TS

Notices

Help: Sunsation 36' MCOB Vs. Cigarette 38 TS

Old 02-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help: Sunsation 36' MCOB Vs. Cigarette 38 TS

Background

So I have been the proud owner of a '06 Sunsation 288 MCOB for the last two years. Looking to move up to the next boat and bypass the 30-33ft stage. I have also taken Tres's course.

Needs

I have a daughter and my girlfriend has a son and they're both 2 years old. We want something that is going to be able to accommodate us today as well as into the future.

Where do I boat?

Lake Cumberland and will likely travel South to join in some of the Florida PRs

Truck - 2011 F250 Lariat CC, short bed, 6.7

What I want

From the powerplant perspective, if I go with a Sunsation it will be built new and done so with 520s. If I go with the Cig it will be used and focusing on '09+ 525s in order to bypass the CMI header debacle. Top speed isn't my concern. Either package will get me into the 90s. I want reliability! XRs with ITS is really catching my attention and with the Sunny then we get into the whole digital shift and throttle controls which I think rock.

Comparing the two, which one is really going to provide the best overall comfort and ride? The MCOB is something I'm quite fond of because you open up a ton of room you don't get with the traditional cuddy. More so, as the kids grow up, they will want to invite friends to come along for our weekend excursions to the lake. Again, this is where the extra room has its benefits.

Active Thunder came to mind but it would be a custom one-off which I believe is going to be outside of what I am able to afford.

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Background

So I have been the proud owner of a '06 Sunsation 288 MCOB for the last two years. Looking to move up to the next boat and bypass the 30-33ft stage. I have also taken Tres's course.

[U]Needs[/U

I have a daughter and my girlfriend has a son and they're both 2 years old. We want something that is going to be able to accommodate us today as well as into the future.

Where do I boat?

Lake Cumberland and will likely travel South to join in some of the Florida PRs

Truck - 2011 F250 Lariat CC, short bed, 6.7

What I want

From the powerplant perspective, if I go with a Sunsation it will be built new and done so with 520s. If I go with the Cig it will be used and focusing on '09+ 525s in order to bypass the CMI header debacle. Top speed isn't my concern. Either package will get me into the 90s. I want reliability! XRs with ITS is really catching my attention and with the Sunny then we get into the whole digital shift and throttle controls which I think rock.

Comparing the two, which one is really going to provide the best overall comfort and ride? The MCOB is something I'm quite fond of because you open up a ton of room you don't get with the traditional cuddy. More so, as the kids grow up, they will want to invite friends to come along for our weekend excursions to the lake. Again, this is where the extra room has its benefits.

Active Thunder came to mind but it would be a custom one-off which I believe is going to be outside of what I am able to afford.

Thoughts?
I have a good friend w a 37 AT that he has had good times on w his wife & 2 kids!! Cabin is spacious, ride is good!! Call Pat at AT!! Never know!! Good Luck!'
Old 02-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

Active Thunder or Cig over the Sunsation, especially when you try to sell it a couple years down the road.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

The Sunsation would be a great boat, Tres Martin designed the bottom so it should be an excellent step bottom.....

I would bet a 37 AT and a 36 Sunsation would be similarly priced.......but both will cost you 100K to own for 3+/- years.....
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd do a TG over 36 sunsation based on your original question.

I'd look at the 36 outerlimits w/520's. It is a nice boat/layout & from my understanding rides very well @ Cumberland & also has speed in the 90's.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a lot to be said about buying something new EXACTLY how you want it. I'm a Sunny guy for sure, but I'd give Active Thunder a hard look the next time I'm in the market.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The Sunsation would be a great boat, Tres Martin designed the bottom so it should be an excellent step bottom.....

I would bet a 37 AT and a 36 Sunsation would be similarly priced.......but both will cost you 100K to own for 3+/- years.....
What about the top gun he was asking about? Oh I forgot you don't like them and they're overpriced, they have too many logos, their cabins suck, and they spin out all the time.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
What about the top gun he was asking about? Oh I forgot you don't like them and they're overpriced, they have too many logos, their cabins suck, and they spin out all the time.
Well, I didn't have to say anything.........YOU COVERED IT ALL!

I was trying to not derail the thread, spoke about the two new build choices.......
Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Well, I didn't have to say anything.........YOU COVERED IT ALL!

I was trying to not derail the thread, spoke about the two new build choices.......
I just said it before you got into your predictable non sense. As for the op, I would take a 10 year old cig before a new sunsation and I think you may be surprised by pricing from at. I think they probably offer the most bang for the buck out there today
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cigarette or active thunder I bet you can buy a new 37 active thunder for less than a new 36 sunny. the cigarette will by far have the best resale value imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.