Lets talk Motors and Reliability not Performance >

Lets talk Motors and Reliability not Performance

Notices

Lets talk Motors and Reliability not Performance

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatfreak
A pair of 496's in a 30 ish will get you there and they will last for ever. I think you would be surprised how much more you would enjoy holiday weekends there with a pair of big blocks behind you.
Agree 1,000%. And not hard on drives either (as long as you throttle it back while in the air...)
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Shop for a fast hull first. Then you don't have to put big (unreliable) power in it to get the speed you want.

My hull is just shy of '32 LOA and runs 78 with a stock 525efi. Runs great in rough water too.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminatorshane
.....an engine doesn't know if its in a boat , car,truck,or go cart. As long as maintenance is done there won't be problems but parts fail and there is nothing that can be done about that. It always cracked me up when people say its got 130k miles but all highway. That's great but how does your engine know its highway miles it don't care ....
I'm no expert, but I know there's a HUGE difference in how an engine will wear depending on the usage scenario. A car is low load, varying RPM range, and usually lower RPMs. A high performance boat is pushing hard through the water, usually spending a lot of time in a narrow RPM band, either cruising or going fast - and that's usually a much higher RPM than a car which shifts to higher gears/lower RPM on the highway.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

be religious and fanatical about oil changes, drives and engines especially if they are new. I did my 525's every fifteen or twenty hours (thats actually more boating then you think). 280 trouble free hours and they ran like new when it went on to its next owner. I would have done valve springs if i still had it.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
My 34 will do 80 with twin MAG HOs. 300 hours, just turn the keys and go!
I agree. I have a 496 HO in my Baja. Dam things are bullet proof. I have 350 hrs on mine and change the oil every season and outdrive every other never had a problem. Great enclosed cooling system. Same on the 525's.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stock 525s in the 42 closed cooling and change oil every 20-25 hrs with Merc semi syn 25W-40 and 330 hrs no problems. Start and run perfect every time. Merc rep told me 525s treated nicely will go a long time and knows a Formula cruiser with 800+ hrs no repairs only maintainance. My XR drives both needed lower gear sets at 250 hrs. Many 525s have had header issues with failed welds so be careful and professionally check out the headers if you get 525s. I have not had problems with mine but I don't use the boat in salt water or jump the props out of the water. Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange quatro
I agree. I have a 496 HO in my Baja. Dam things are bullet proof. I have 350 hrs on mine and change the oil every season and outdrive every other never had a problem. Great enclosed cooling system. Same on the 525's.
Yea, 20-25 on engine oil, 45-50 on drives and changed before winter no matter the hours.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
If you're looking for long term reliability on the drive side, XR's aren't it.
OK, so the next level above XR's cost how much more? The HO's put out 375HP and a straight bravo is good for 400.

What do the 525's put out and what are the XR's good for? Bigger and stronger is good, but how much better for how many dollars ball park?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I popped for a 525 because I wanted the reliability of a "racing" engine along with the performance. I could have pro-charged my 496 and made more power for less money.
Besides being a bigger motor, what makes the 525 a "racing" engine? What does it have the 496 does not?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 242LS
I'm no expert, but I know there's a HUGE difference in how an engine will wear depending on the usage scenario. A car is low load, varying RPM range, and usually lower RPMs. A high performance boat is pushing hard through the water, usually spending a lot of time in a narrow RPM band, either cruising or going fast - and that's usually a much higher RPM than a car which shifts to higher gears/lower RPM on the highway.
the best annology to describe what our marine engines live like is they are on a full time dyno. We prop our boats to run at their peak power/rpm with the maximum prop. which is essentially a full pull at WOT (and some of us do that a lot ) I had to laugh when GM did their little marketing schpeal on the performance parts 572 where they said they put the motor on a pull turned the lights off and went home for the night. Big deal . . . . one of their truck motors off the assembly line can do that no prob. Heck some of the SV, SCL and SVL guys go a couple years at wide open throttle in a rough race environment and never have an issue. You also have to consider that your crank, while spinning, has a gyroscopic affect that makes it want to stay in one place meanwhile your engine block is moving radically through several planes. Yes . . . . . marines engines are impressively over built for a very dynamic environment.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-08-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.