Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Taking Better Care of the Water We All Love... >

Taking Better Care of the Water We All Love...

Notices

Taking Better Care of the Water We All Love...

Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
I believe this coast guard plaque is required on all boats? NO PLASTIC EVER.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518530[/ATTACH]

I was going to get a pic of mine.. thanks

pretty pathetic when you think about it...
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
There is nothing political about stopping plastics from entering the ecosystem. It affects everything. It will take a long time to move this issue to the front just like CFC's and leaded gasoline did back in the 1970's. I remember in the 70's not having PE some days because there was a stage I or stage II "smog alert". The problem with this issue is waaaaaaaaaaay different. It is not localized and no one "owns" the ocean so any country can NOT educate and/or regulate plastic handling and be a major global problem. Most folks won't give a fack about all this hullabaloo about plastic pollution on a daily basis. Others will.........and will make changes in their life and try to influence others change as well. THAT is what this thread is about. Education.
Remember that plastic is just one thing that is being dumped into the ocean.

As far as the Japanese tsunami contributing to the pacific plastic zone, I remember first reading about it years ago- long before the latest incident.
The leakage from fukashima poses a much larger problem.
Not to go all chicken little and all... but, what if some catsastrophic event such as that sets off a chain of events that kill off most or all of certain species in the ocean?
Then dominoes really begin to fall...

How many gallons of water are there between Japan's coastline and California's?
And there warnings of enough radioactivity out there already to be concerned about...
How many miles issat again? the entire Pacific Ocean?

Think about how long it took us to plug that one little hole we punched in the earth's crust.

Fuel burn by performance boats is such an insignificant amount as a percentage of all fuel used by all vessels it isn't worth considering on a planetary scale.
Fossil fuel will continue to be used by the planet until there is no more to use, or we switch to smarter alternatives (not in our lifetimes),

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Last edited by jayboat; 02-13-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RebarBox
And this video had no influence from the debris produced from the Japan tsunami??

Complying arguments, and a tear at the heart strings but most of these videos are made with a political propose in mind.

You posted on a website that has no problem with the idea of burning massive amounts of fossil fuels to feed our waterborne speed wishes. What is your proposed fix to the problem that you have brought to our attention?
You are absolutely right, I enjoy our loud and somewhat fast for its size boat, but at the same time I am completely aware of the requirement for fossil fuel. But does this mean I have to give a giant "F you" to our entire environment?

There was a video posted that talked about this very topic long before the tsunami ever happened and like Level III Chaos mentioned this as simply about education and not politics. It was intended to make people think about their actions.

My personal proposed fix to the problem....

• Recycle, it amazes me how in this day in age there are not more solutions to recycling. We have lived in St. Louis for the last 15 years and recycling outside of a city limit is non existent we would have to drive several miles in order to do it. The location of recycling bins in and around public places was non existent and Houston seems to have the same problem. Wal-mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, large grocery stores just to name a few need to take responsibility, they sell literally tons of plastic, metal and cardboard by the minute and do absolutely nothing in return. They all should offer recycling options for ALL their products even the ones that cost them money like florescent light bulbs.

Just to give you an idea, a couple of years ago we decided to recycle for a NYE resolution. Once we started recycling 100% we had only one trash bag a week between the two of us and this was shocking and eye opening to us. Now we are living in an apartment in the city of Houston with no recycling and we now have a trash bag a day! Luckily once we move into our home the city does offer single stream recycling for curbside pick up. From one bag a week to one bag a day is shocking!

• Be mindful, realize where your trash is and where is it going. How many times have we seen pick up trucks with trash swirling around their bed only to be blown out if it? 95% of cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate (a plastic) and our planet is not a giant ashtray, next time you're waiting at light look along the curve, you'll be shocked at how many butts are out there. Take the time to cut the 'six pack' plastic rings, it takes only a second. If something blows out of your boat while under way turn around and retrieve it.

I can see how easy it is to just past the blame to Asia, but on the Atlantic side there is still plenty of trash washing up on our shores, the Mississippi is loaded with trash. If one piece of trash is picked up, thrown away properly or simply recycled is simply put one less piece of trash making its way into the water we all love. If trash is political then so be it! If my thinking makes me a "tree hugger" then so be it! I can still be concerned about our planet while burning fuel and firing guns? I think so.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 02-13-2014 at 10:47 AM.