Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives? >

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Notices

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hope a pair of 525's with bulletproof outdrives would get me north of 80 in a 33-37 fountain or similar light hull. I'm thinking any boat that could keep up most likely will blast past me and a couple of MPH is not going to make any difference.

I know with my budget, 3 digit speeds are not an option or within my ability to be safe. I would get hurt in a Cat, I am pretty fearless which is not necessarily a good thing.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

SCX is the way to go!

Yes I may have lost 2-3mph on the top end but I will trade that all day long for the reliability! I popped 3 Xr drives within 2 years of bumping up my motors (less than 80hrs of run time). Have loved my SCX drives for 3+ years since then!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jason3603
Good luck, it was a struggle for me to decide what direction to go in, I chose Arneson!
I almost afraid to ask what they cost.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The loss of mph going from IMCO SC to SCX is due to a wider gear case housing to contain bigger gears and bearings and a slightly longer strut , which could be trimmed if needed . The trade off in a couple of mph is worth the increased reliability .
Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

What is the cost compared to the arnesons bravo kit? Are we talking 5k or 15k?

I don't know.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by NautiNuff
I would hope a pair of 525's with bulletproof outdrives would get me north of 80 in a 33-37 fountain or similar light hull. I'm thinking any boat that could keep up most likely will blast past me and a couple of MPH is not going to make any difference.

I know with my budget, 3 digit speeds are not an option or within my ability to be safe. I would get hurt in a Cat, I am pretty fearless which is not necessarily a good thing.
The newer 35 fountains with the staggered setup and 525 are a 100 mph boat or very close, but you give up a ton of cockpit space for the stagger. I've seen a couple of you recent threads and know what you're getting at about reliability. The only advice I can give you is that no matter how reliable of a setup you put together stuff is still gonna break, and the faster you want to go the more often stuff is gonna break or just wear out. I think the real question you should be asking is how much money does everyone spend fixing/ maintaining an 80 plus mph v hull.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
What is the cost compared to the arnesons bravo kit? Are we talking 5k or 15k?

I don't know.
It all depends on what you purchasing and what you have currently on the boat.

Going from and Bravo 1/XR to an Arneson, it will be roughly 50K for the pair with all parts needed to install the drives which does not include #6 style props at about 10K. The major components included in the kit are: drive, extension box, Trans, steering rams, trim rams, helm unit, bell housing and mount. I believe I covered most of it.

Going form a Bravo 1/XR to SCX it will be roughly 30-35K for the pair which does not include #6 props at about 10K. The major components included for that cost are: drive, reservoir and helmet. If you have a Bravo 1 gimbal housing I would suggest upgrading the whole thing with what IMCO offers. If memory serves me right it is around 6K each. If you have an XR you can get away with just the gimbal ring at around 1200 each. And you still do not get extension boxes in all of the cost.

So, if you replace part for part the Arneson is the more logical way to go. I also think that it is up to the individual to figure out what best suits them and their situation. But I will say this from what I have read you are more likely to gain speed with the Arneson. So in my opinion money well spent. Oh yeah, Rik has been awesome to work with.

Note: These are rough figures.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

With only 525's I am not sure you would need anything more than XRs. B max may be the most cost effective.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I had SC lowers already so for me the SCX conversion was a no brainer. I had to buy uppers, helmets, gimble rings, and tie rod. The SC lowers use the Bravo props so no need to buy new props. Total cost for me was around 25K. A full SCX drive will bring the bill to roughly 35K for everyhing.

The Arneson package is Awesome and I did look at it but it was cost prohibitive for me. The package was roughly 50k, props would be 8-10k, and I had to do some fiberglass work on my transom notch to fit them (adds dollars and set up ???).
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

A pair of used wet #6's is by far the best drive for the money out there right now. I've seen a couple sets with gimbles for under $20k. Used trannys $1500 for a pair and used props (4 blade) $2K for a pair. Now you're at $23K give or take and have to get the glass work done. I'm sure for under $10K you can get the glass work done and everything installed. So, for under $35k you have #6's on your boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.