Go-Fast Boat Safety: Six Tips

Notices

Go-Fast Boat Safety: Six Tips

Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Default Go-Fast Boat Safety: Six Tips

Culled from "Tres Martin's Safety Corner," a bi-weekly feature on speedonthewater.com for the readers of boats.com, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...afety-six-tips.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AKA common sense
Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by pstorti
AKA common sense
Which, as is proven time and time again, isn't very common.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

A wise man once said; "Common sense is neither."
Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"A boat will always make it to shore". Classic
Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Great Articles as always Matt.

In the passenger safety article, I disagree with the seated/standing passengers.
Not including boats like mine and most cats that are designed to sit down in, I find passengers in "stand up boats" to be more secure seated especially if there are appropriate grab handles or straps. Yes there is that trampoline effect but it is those lateral forces that will knock you off your feet if you are not bolstered or seated. Twice I was almost thrown from a boat on a poker run while standing unbolstered as a passenger. I learned two things - 1. It's never the first jolting impact that throws you, it is the second lateral one that gets you while you are trying to readjust. and - 2. There are a couple of people I will NEVER get back in a boat with if they are driving!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Those are pretty much common sense. I would add a few things. Slow down and take it easy in turns; This is where a lot of accidents happen and you aren't racing. If in rough water have everyone in a life jacket. Poor swimmers should always wear one. Make sure everyone brings sunglasses for eye protection. Always have sunscreen on board. Make sure that every guest knows in advance that this is not a runabout or a yacht, that we will be going fast and getting bounced around some; That will lessen the chance of having an uneasy guest and when we are spending hundreds of dollars to go out we don't like being asked to slow down. Make sure all passengers are holding on when going fast. Check on them often and ask if they are OK. Shout out loud if about to hit a wake or wave. I just shout "hang on". Sometimes it turns out to be nothing but everyone needs to be informed anyway. Just my 3 cents Matt!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Those are pretty much common sense. I would add a few things. Slow down and take it easy in turns; This is where a lot of accidents happen and you aren't racing. If in rough water have everyone in a life jacket. Poor swimmers should always wear one. Make sure everyone brings sunglasses for eye protection. Always have sunscreen on board. Make sure that every guest knows in advance that this is not a runabout or a yacht, that we will be going fast and getting bounced around some; That will lessen the chance of having an uneasy guest and when we are spending hundreds of dollars to go out we don't like being asked to slow down. Make sure all passengers are holding on when going fast. Check on them often and ask if they are OK. Shout out loud if about to hit a wake or wave. I just shout "hang on". Sometimes it turns out to be nothing but everyone needs to be informed anyway. Just my 3 cents Matt!
All great suggestions.