Notices

Need Opinions

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sweet.Looks like a have some new options on just leaving the existing carpet in and ways to reface the new back seat panel to match the boat. With the carpet being at minimum 7-8 years old do you think it should be replaced. It could be older, the guy before me had the boat for 7 years and the carpet was already in there. Pretty sure the guy before him was the original owner. If I replace the carpet it will be with the color Graphite Grey so here is the question, Given the information on carpet age, and that if replaced will be replaced with a smooth grey color but cuddy and cockpit would now match, What would you guys do? Just replace all of the carpet which may need to be done and can just re carpet the face of the back seat panel like it came, or stick with the blue carpet and reface that seat panel with one of the options that we discussed?

On a side note, my wife wants me to replace the carpet, she doesn't like the blue lol.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
On a side note, my wife wants me to replace the carpet, she doesn't like the blue lol.
I think she answered the question for you LOL!!!
At my house when Momma's happy, everybody's happy
I've always loved a neutral grey to compliment other colors.
Great looking boat, way to go.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I think she answered the question for you LOL!!!
At my house when Momma's happy, everybody's happy
I've always loved a neutral grey to compliment other colors.
Great looking boat, way to go.

See ya,
Kelly
LOL, yea but don't want to regret it, not to mention it will be 2-3 days of work that won't be fun lol. Exactly why if I change the carpet its going grey, it takes the attention off the floor, makes the space look a little more open and clean, and it will let the accent pieces do there job. Thanks for the opinion, I appreciate it, and its exactly what I am looking for, if it was your boat given all the info what would you do?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
if it was your boat given all the info what would you do?
I wouldn't go back with blue but would look for a neutral grey which is lighter than a gunmetal grey but much darker than a dove grey.
Now I've got a question for y'all about the exact same thing as I'm fixing to replace mine too.

My green, pink and black are a much richer color now after repeatedy working with some penetrating enhancer stuff???
I thought it was snake oil last year but when I busted her out last week I saw it looked much better now than then, guess it just took a long time to come around.
Wife and daughters want pink, son and I are thinking black and I'm really kind of leaning towards a green if I can match my current color very closely which nobody agrees with me.
Note, the girls seldomly go out in her anyway LOL !!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys may have.

See ya,
Kelly

I'll try to get by my shop later today and get a current pic

Last edited by huskyrider; 02-21-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Registered

The color is called Graphite Grey, its a soft grey, but not too light where its going to show everything. I also like it cause its solid, vs the ones with white speckled in them, here is a link where you can see it.
http://www.marinecarpeting.com/catal...57/image/1194/

I am not sure about black, gets hot. Definitely not pink, I am not sure about the green, probably will be very tough to get a close enough match. I would use the same thing I am, the Graphite grey, looks like the carpet that is in there is like a silverish blue color? You can see the charcoal, and the medium grey on that link as well, both of those have white speckled throughout.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered

This is the grey I think makes the boat look nice and clean. the Graphite Grey looks if not the same very close, maybe a little darker if anything (need to look at the sample i have again).

Last edited by ealesh33; 02-21-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Registered

Well I got the boat stripped this weekend, took just under 2 days, and man I could do without doing that again ever lol. But everything that is getting carpet is ready for it.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

UPDATE!!!

Cant say this is the funnest job I have ever done lol. Making progress, last week I did all of the prep, took 2 full days. I did a full day yesterday 9am to 6:30isn, and I have all but 3 pieces cut for the floor, and about half down. I have to cut the center panel for the cockpit floor, the center for the cuddy floor and 1 stringer in the cuddy. I also still have to cut the removable cockpit walls at the bulk head, the floor boxes, the boxes that cover the filler hose and hold speakers, and back seat. I originally ordered a 8'x20' piece of carpet, not even close to enough. going to lay down the measurements today to determine what I will need to finish, but thinking 8'X15'. I did well on waste too, so my initial estimate was off lol. Also the Roberts 6700 carpet glue leaves some to be desired to be honest, mostly the set up time, really messy and a pain in the ass to keep the carpet in place for setup. I thankfully picked up contact cement, it works awesome, and is much easier to apply given you roll or brush it on instead of trowing. Not to mention holds up alot better to wet, the glue will loose some adhesion when wet, but it will reset when dried. Now I am working in colder temps as well, when I put a heater to the glue it set much quicker. The contact cement is just alot cleaner and easier to do your cuts when the carpet is in place cause it holds, the pieces with glue are a major pain to trim as it doesn't stay still. Down fall to the contact cement is you cant move it when its down, and have to be careful peeling and adjusting cause it will pull the backing off if you arent careful. Hope this helps someone looking to recarpet there whole boat in the future. I will update again when the job is done to have a definitive amount of carpet used.