Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
why run ur vavle cover breathers to carb or efi manifold >

why run ur vavle cover breathers to carb or efi manifold

Notices

why run ur vavle cover breathers to carb or efi manifold

Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it is required in cars for emissions. my 65 mustang used to have a vent blowing down into engine compartment next to oil pan. u could see the blowby on tired engines alla time. sportfish all run PCV cuz the engines are never at real high load and they are under the salon. PCV doesn't really work at high load cuz of no engine vacuum. great at idle when the fumes smell the worst in the cockpit. what about plumbing the blowby into bilge vent hose and run it out with the bilge blower?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
I have been using the Mann ProVent Air/Oil Separators for almost a decade on my Twin Screw Supercharger systems(and N/A engines too) with great success. Best separator I have found and during my Twin Screw development I tried pretty much all of them, including the more expensive aircraft separators.

The ProVents come in various sizes and were originally developed for Heavy Industrial Diesel applications (think very dirty diesel engines).

In our applications we plumb the return for the separated oil out of the Provent back to the oil pan via a one-way check valve so there is no need for a catch can to worry about. The separated air can be vented through a simple crankcase filter (open loop) or back through the intake system (closed loop).

You can see the ProVent in the pics below, note the round black device just to the left of center mounted to the backside of the radiator.

Cheers,

Dave

Nice find.

I really like the provent, I built something similar for my supercharged seadoo's, except I have to open a valve to drain the oil periodically.

Have been happy with the pan-e-vac (vac-u-pan) system on my BBC and will still use the exhaust as a vacuum source. However I really like the idea of separating the oil and sending it back to the pan.

Next time I get into the engine I will be rigging one of those in.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

78cig24--how about a couple of pics of the rest of those two 928s. Motors look like that, the rest of the car must be phenomenal!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDShack
78cig24--how about a couple of pics of the rest of those two 928s. Motors look like that, the rest of the car must be phenomenal!
Don't want to get too OT with car stuff, but here is a quick one of the red 85. You can go to my website www.928gt.com and see more.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Don't want to get too OT with car stuff, but here is a quick one of the red 85. You can go to my website www.928gt.com and see more.

Cheers,

Dave

Way cool!!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
what about plumbing the blowby into bilge vent hose and run it out with the bilge blower?
and blow oily residue into the water ?