Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When is a deal not a deal? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30931-when-deal-not-deal.html)

ragtop409 08-14-2002 12:45 PM

sour deals

When I got my boat about a year ago from a YACHT brocker in So Cal we were hooking the trailer to the truck and the sales man came out quickly and said wait I need to take the drive lock off ( the special nut made by Mgard lug nut company) OR you can just givr me $20 dollars for the key!! That is SHISTY!! I gave him the extra $20 and left a black patch in there drive way. Charlie

dockrocker 08-14-2002 12:49 PM

Hey, you could always check with the Beav! www.beavboats.com - he's so good, he can sell boats without their owners even knowing about it! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the swing OT, couldn't resist....

Sydwayz 08-14-2002 12:56 PM

Shooter,
I have to input as Steve/OSO and Phknlwyr have on this one. This is one of the best stand up bunch of folks in the Powerboat industry I have ever come across. I am sure there are underlying details that Pwrbt33 and Shooter have failed to bring up, as some of the details do not even belong on this board. Everything happens for a reason, and maybe this glitch is one of those reasons. Everyone of us has been a part of good business deals and bad business deals on both ends of the stick. I hope your buddy finds a great boat, and as it looks; you and your buddy will probably give up on using OP in the future; there are a host of other folks who will vouch for them from hear until forever, including on this board. This dealer is less than two years old, recruited only the top in the industry to work for them, and in that time have become one of the most reputable Sonic and Cigarette shops, as well as Hi-Perf service shops in the country.

Pantera1 08-14-2002 01:01 PM

Read the fine print

Ive had this happen with a truck..When I read the fine print it said something about having it authorized ..which meant signed by the sales manager .It wasn't signed so I guess I was just dealing with a puke.. Then they said I had to wait a week for my deposit because the check had to clear before they could refund me .. I let everyone in the place know how I felt , flipped a couple chairs over , slammed the door and left the showroom filled with rubber smoke ..(boy that felt good):D :D

Shooter 08-14-2002 02:27 PM

OK, OK, I know what I was in for when I posted this.

My main irk is not with the contract, and as I have stated, my personal experience with these folks was not negative, at the boat show and when I went down to see a boat. They were friendly and helpful.

OP did not appreciate the trouble that was went to to see the boat and try it out. Come-on guys, all of the driving and all the assorted time invested stands for nothing? No dealer can complain about hull-kickers if this is the flip side. The phone call was a matter of fact without an apology of any sort. Not that an apology is written into contracts either, just a courtesy. I would think that they would have given him the chance to counter or match - would you agree or not? Again, not a contractual obligation. Good business is not always contracts. It's all treatment and perception, whether the deal was a wash or not. I'm no neophyte in this area. I write, negotiate, and deliver on contracts for a living. Most my business the contract is a mere formality and rarely invoked.

As you can see with my history on the board, old and new, I am not given to flaming and inflammatory statements. This being my close bud, I just would like OP to understand that this might not rate among their better customer relationship performances, that it appears by the posts, they have a good rep. for. I will not doubt what others have posted as truth.

We are a tight community and share our, and other's experiences. I see no error bringing this into a forum, it's done here all the time. I made sure I got the actual facts straight and my friend is a stand-up guy and a straight shooter (pun) too. So what happened here?

In the end, as I see by their post, they have taken notice, which might have been my purpose all along.

ragtop409 08-14-2002 02:51 PM

OP did not appreciate the trouble that was went to to see the boat and try it out. Co

I feel for you BUD but I hate to be the one to tell you or him that 3 hours each way is NOT a logn haul in the High Performace boat real. Me and my freinds have been treated less than corgel buy some boat brokers and private parties after traveling 1,200 miles!! to look at (and drive) boats. Charlie

Von Bongo 08-14-2002 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Phknlwyr
Premise of Offshore Perfromance was that it was an "offer" because a trailer was asked to be thrown in.

Shooter,

Unfortunately, your request for a trailer legally amounts to a counteroffer. The upshot of making a counteroffer is that it nullifies the original contract extended to you by the seller. The seller has the legal right to either accept your counteroffer, reject your counteroffer and agree to the deal as originally offered, or, as they did here, reject your counteroffer, consider their original offer dead and sell to someone else. True, this may stink, but they appear to have acted according to established laws of contracting.

I gotta agree with the f'in lawyer on this one, it sounds like a small issue if you haven't been involved in many contracts, but that's the way it is.

Bill272 08-14-2002 09:39 PM

Excellent point, Too Old. Seems common courtesy isn't so common...

OldSchool 08-14-2002 09:41 PM

Offshore Performance

Although I don't have anything to do with this transaction, I can personally say that Offshore Performance is and has been a total class act with me. I purchased a used Formula from them this year and am thrilled with the boat and their (OP's) business practices.

I will buy my next boat from them:D :D

Craig Hall

Shorgasm 08-14-2002 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
Contract or no, common courtesy would dictate a call to the guy who left a deposit.

Customer satisfaction and repeat business should be important to anyone who sells or produces a product.

There apparently was no contract, but I wouldn't expect the jilted customer to EVER set foot in that dealership again.

As a business owner, that would bother the hell out of me.

Perfect.....absolutely perfect.......;) ask yourself this........?.....

How hard would it have been to go a little out of your way to try and keep this guy as a customer??????........I mean really...:rolleyes:

In my own little world......I would have a lot less if it wasn't for repeat business.......I'm sure a lot of you out there have the same feelings about burning bridges....