Notices

6.2 LSA Engine Video

Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jvthundercat
This cannot be done! It will blow up because it does not have the name "Marine" on it! lol

I really don't know why people think a marine engine is built any better than a race car engine.

If you got a check book and are brave, try some Sprint car 410 to 430 pushing 980 hp with no turbo or blower. Of course they will also turn 9500 rpm all day under load.

I can set you right up!
So can Earl Gaerte and Shaver, but these mills awesome as they are don't work in boats with outdrives.

Its not that a "marine" setup is "better" they are just set up to make power differently and work with the limitations of the environment-

Stuff like a sub 900RPM idle another being an RPM limit of about 6K, another being a wet exhaust - another being 1 gear (with no clutch) from idle to top speed.
Sprint car engines have none of these limitations.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-11-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added no clutch...
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Dave UD - I promise I am not following you up here. LOL

Dart is getting heavly into the LS side of the coin - they market it as LS Next

also Mast is huge with LS stuff all across the world. IMO has the biggest name in the LS - LSA industry. Anyways I run into them once or twice a year and pick their brains. Mast is in my neck of the woods - Texas.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUP
Hey Dave UD - I promise I am not following you up here. LOL

Dart is getting heavly into the LS side of the coin - they market it as LS Next

also Mast is huge with LS stuff all across the world. IMO has the biggest name in the LS - LSA industry. Anyways I run into them once or twice a year and pick their brains. Mast is in my neck of the woods - Texas.
All good Bup!

UD
Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I haven't followed what is the difference from a LS ver LSA?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I haven't followed what is the difference from a LS ver LSA?
The LSA is an iron block 6.2 liter with a blower that makes 556 hp. GM puts it in the CTS-V. "LS" refers to the newest generation of small block chevys. Could be anything from a 4.8 liter truck engine to a 7.0 liter found in the Z06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_LS_engine
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LSA is an Aluminum block.... http://www.gmpowertrain.com/Librarie...rine.sflb.ashx

LS is the aluminum block series from the LS1 to LS9 which are found in performance cars / Cadillacs typically.

The newest series of engines are the Gen V series found in the 2014 trucks and the C7 Vettes- Direct injection platform..... http://www.caranddriver.com/news/gen...c7-engine-news

Cool stuff on the horizon !!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

In the marine end you will see changes coming with the GM engines. Mercruiser still will be the only Marine engine manu not doing a LS or LSX or LSA based engine. All Marine ECM's will be standardized like the OBD 2 was for the auto end as they did many many years ago. Date for the marine standardization is 2017 year models.

Direct injection is here on the auto side and the marine end will be seeing it real soon as the V-6 / 4. 3 L Marine direct injection engine is already here by GM. Also V V T is here on the marine side and will be on all engines to come down the road. Outboards will have cat systems like the inboards &/ I/O's. Outboard manu's have been testing the cat systems now for over 3 years straight but still can make the system full proof for any length of time. Also the 6.2 Ford Raptor engine is already here on the marine side and being offered in a few months thru Indmar. Indmar really likes that motor and have run it thru its paces. They said the torque is unreal for the wakeboat crowd.

A couple years ago Mercruiser did announce to its dealers that they were coming out with a GM LS engine to replace the 8.1 L and or the 6.2 L anyways they dropped the program and said to me in person it would last nor have the reliability that they already have. Hence the newer 8.2 L with cat system and kept the 6.2 L with cat system. All marine I/O's & inboards under 500 hp have to have a cat system / 4 - O2 sensors since 2010 and since 2008 in California.

Volvo Penta does not have any gas power Big Blocks for the past 2 yers as their whole line up is going LS. They now offer 3 versions of the same 6.0 LS GM base - 350 hp and a 380 hp and a 430 hp all the same 6.0 L LS GM engine just tuned differently. They use aluminum exhaust manifolds with cat installed. FYI

Last edited by BUP; 03-11-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Is anyone going with the 7.0 version? Seems a 7.0 with SC could be a nice light 570-600 HP motor.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Is anyone going with the 7.0 version? Seems a 7.0 with SC could be a nice light 570-600 HP motor.
I don't think that block (if you are speaking of the LS7, C6 ZO6) is really designed for FI. It is a lightweight design for a lightweight track car. Not sure it would handle FI load for extended periods of time. I am sure someone here has firsthand experience with that one?.....
Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

About $8k for a new LSA shopping around. Sounds like a good deal for 556 HP

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...343395123.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.