Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ever seen a boat blow an engine that threw parts through the hull of the boat? >

ever seen a boat blow an engine that threw parts through the hull of the boat?

Notices

ever seen a boat blow an engine that threw parts through the hull of the boat?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by butch ryan
Willy diaz put a flywheel through the bottom of el boss back in 82
thats what i was talking about, an offshore boat, not a ultra light layup jetboat or drag boat that have paper thin hulls. what brand of boat was el boss?
Old 03-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Pantera?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Years ago I had a radical small block in a 16 Donzi. While running the snot outta it off of Gloucester, Ma, it blew up so hard there there individual cam lobes in the bilge. Snapped a rod and it was all over. Was with a non boating friend, we floated for quite some time. He does not go boating anymore.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Years ago I had a radical small block in a 16 Donzi. While running the snot outta it off of Gloucester, Ma, it blew up so hard there there individual cam lobes in the bilge. Snapped a rod and it was all over. Was with a non boating friend, we floated for quite some time. He does not go boating anymore.
now thats sum really funny chit right there lmao
Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

In my younger poorer days I bought and old hyunda from a chick for 150 bucks because she said it died and wouldn't start. Considered it a bic dispose-a-car. threw new battery in it and it started right up and I drove it out of her driveway. refused to put any money in it, never even changed the oil. drove it for 2 1/2 years until it locked up solid on a freeway onramp. Called on of those "we buy cars running or not places" they met me in an hour with a flatbed at the onramp where it died and they gave me 250 bucks for it. Made money on that deal
Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Miller American Unlimited hydro worked out of our shop for a few weeks in 1986. They had just experienced a failure of the hot end of their turbine, where turbine blades and chunks of the rotor had gone through a Kevlar blanket, hit the water, and bounced back up through the boat from underneath. There feeling was that the Kevlar blanket had actually made things worse. "Imagine pulling a mattress through a keyhole", one of them explained to me. In the end, they had a 1/4" thick titanium sleeve made to hold the parts in.

Things got much better when they sorted out the fuel controls and governors...
Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biggus
years ago i had a radical small block in a 16 donzi. While running the snot outta it off of gloucester, ma, it blew up so hard there there individual cam lobes in the bilge. Snapped a rod and it was all over. Was with a non boating friend, we floated for quite some time. he does not go boating anymore.
lol
Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Before mandatory scatter shields, I was standing, straddled a big block Chevy in a Howard flatbottom when the flywheel and back of the crank decided it didn't want to be part of the team anymore. Motor is in backwards, so it happened basically between my legs. Stuff blew everywhere. Looked like the scene from Pulp Fiction where Samuel L. Jackson has his epiphany after being shot at a dozen times and not getting hit! Not a scratch on me, but boat was too damaged to race. A fellow here in Texas had just being killed several months before doing the same thing. I learned new respect.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a mid 90s formula 25 with a 454. The mechanic at a shop ass revving it on the garden hose. Boat was on the trailer in the parking lot. Harmonic balancer shattered and parts went through the bottom into the asphalt. I was mad as a mofo.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
I had a mid 90s formula 25 with a 454. The mechanic at a shop ass revving it on the garden hose. Boat was on the trailer in the parking lot. Harmonic balancer shattered and parts went through the bottom into the asphalt. I was mad as a mofo.
it would have been much worse, if it happened 30 miles offshore....i would have bought him a beer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.