Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ever seen a boat blow an engine that threw parts through the hull of the boat? >

ever seen a boat blow an engine that threw parts through the hull of the boat?

Notices

ever seen a boat blow an engine that threw parts through the hull of the boat?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ever seen a boat blow an engine that threw parts through the hull of the boat?

i have seen some serious cars have the engine come apart and destroy the front and of the car, so i was wondering what happens when some of the new ultra high hp engines come unglued, if they ever throw parts through the hull of the boat...
Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

back in my boat drag racing days i saw what can happen when a non approved harmonic balancer explodes,one of the guys put a hole in the bottom of his drag boat big enough to sink it in under a minute.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Ya know its funny, I've only seen a hemi blow the crank out the bottom, but my wife's old 4 cyl Nissan sent 3 rods through the block and a 3.7 Chrysler v6 shattered the bottom end 2 weeks ago! I've tried to blow up big block and diesels with no oil and all they did was lock up lol
Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

a long time ago i built a 400 small block for a guy for a monte carlo that had a 305 in it,the day before he swaped them out he drained the oil out of it and held it wide open trying to scatter it but it locked up.about an hour later just for ****z&giggels he hit the key,the dam thing started and ran for close to a minute befort it broke a rod and that was it.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen it several times with jet boats, had a pro jet boat sink in Jan 13 at our winternationals due to the flywheel coming apart after a nitrous pop. This years winternationals we had a v-drive explode the driveshaft after the boat hopped out of the water, driver was able to stuff a rag in the hole before it went down.

On a big boat a friend had a piece of the 502's rod embed itself in the hull, bilge pump was able to keep up. He got in trouble for the oil though.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that most of the velocity is ate up within the engine block and oil pan at the RPM's most pleasure boats run, thus retaining most of the shrapnel within the confines of the engine. Makes an oily mess though.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble

On a big boat a friend had a piece of the 502's rod embed itself in the hull, bilge pump was able to keep up. He got in trouble for the oil though.
WTF was he supposed to do? Considering all the oil that BP pumped into the Gulf, I don't think a few quarts of oil are going to hurt any body of water.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Willy diaz put a flywheel through the bottom of el boss back in 82
Old 03-09-2014, 01:42 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
WTF was he supposed to do? Considering all the oil that BP pumped into the Gulf, I don't think a few quarts of oil are going to hurt any body of water.
Trailer was at another ramp, so boat sat at dock making a mess while trailer was fetched. I guess someone called the authorities. Could have been handled better no doubt.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Not a boat but...

When DynoJet first came out with chassis dynos and was traveling around promoting with the portable trailer ones, they came to one of the local dragstrips. First car on was an Altered with a 427 that promptly windowed the side of the block on the first pull. No other cars went on it that weekend because everyone was instantly terrified of chassis dynos lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.