Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what area's have they skimped out on ?

Thank's
mike
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Ad says lunati crank and rods? doesnt look like they skimped on anything using parts like lunati
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
what area's have they skimped out on ?

Thank's
mike
Cheap pistons, cheap oil pan, cheap balancer, no name valves in the heads (possibly a pre-assembled set of heads), cheap accessory brackets (steel V belt brackets), no exhaust, no motor mounts, no bell housing, no coupler, etc. There is no mention of an oil thermostat, gauge senders, alarm senders, etc.
It's not a bad piece for the money and I'm certainly not bashing it. However, if you change out all of the lesser expensive parts for top notch stuff, add the parts that are missing and you will easily exceed 35K. You will have 6K in a serpentine accessory system and headers alone.

We have found that most guys buying something in that power range are first time custom engine buyers, They previously had stock Mercury engines and are afraid of superchargers. So, they go for a big NA engine. However, usually within 1-2 years, they are wanting more. Some less than that. They get a little taste of some power and got to have more. For that reason, we end up supercharging about 60% of the engines we build in the power range at some point in their life. If the parts are not there to support it, you have to start all over. If you build it to handle whatever you can throw at it, then you are good to go for whatever you want to do.

This looks like a good deal if you plan on keeping it like it is. Bottom line, just like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Eddie
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

BULL $$ Marine engine builders are WAY overpriced. I realize that boat engines are constantly under strain but three-four times the price of an automotive price is GOUGING in my opinion. Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Just for what it is worth I was given a quote by a well known builder of $8000 each to be build a pair of carbed HP 500s. This was the price for a "basic" re build. Other than the normally replaced items the only major thing was new pistons.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Cheap pistons, cheap oil pan, cheap balancer, no name valves in the heads (possibly a pre-assembled set of heads), cheap accessory brackets (steel V belt brackets), no exhaust, no motor mounts, no bell housing, no coupler, etc. There is no mention of an oil thermostat, gauge senders, alarm senders, etc.
It's not a bad piece for the money and I'm certainly not bashing it. However, if you change out all of the lesser expensive parts for top notch stuff, add the parts that are missing and you will easily exceed 35K. You will have 6K in a serpentine accessory system and headers alone.

We have found that most guys buying something in that power range are first time custom engine buyers, They previously had stock Mercury engines and are afraid of superchargers. So, they go for a big NA engine. However, usually within 1-2 years, they are wanting more. Some less than that. They get a little taste of some power and got to have more. For that reason, we end up supercharging about 60% of the engines we build in the power range at some point in their life. If the parts are not there to support it, you have to start all over. If you build it to handle whatever you can throw at it, then you are good to go for whatever you want to do.

This looks like a good deal if you plan on keeping it like it is. Bottom line, just like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Eddie

Thank you , very well said , something to look in to before buying , this is what so great about OSO someone like me that has had plenty of boats but very little knowledge of motors can ask question's and get other opinions is great

Thank you
mike
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
BULL $$ Marine engine builders are WAY overpriced. I realize that boat engines are constantly under strain but three-four times the price of an automotive price is GOUGING in my opinion. Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain.
This is what is great about America. You can choose to have an automotive engine builder build you your boat's engines at "a 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost" of a marine engine builder.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain
For 30 seconds maybe. Not for an hour, and not with frequent unloading and then instantly reloading the engine.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

If you don't know what you are buying, don't.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
If you don't know what you are buying, don't.
That's kinda funny. Of course I no want I'm buying just trying to learn the difference of what's inside off what I'm buying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.