Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   sonic's history (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30973-sonics-history.html)

sgrady 08-16-2002 10:03 PM

I have had two a 31 and a 38, they are great boats.

Jeff 08-18-2002 03:31 AM

Hey guys I always liked the Sonics. I saw a turbine cat in Travamunde (Germany) over the 4th of july that looked lik a 32+ that was red and said, Sea Sonic on it that was really cool. It had 4 of the latest cool Super Cat seats in it. Is this a Euro-Sonic? It looked too cool. I would bet this boat is USA built and rigged all the way. They cruised by as a pace boat for the Class 1 time trials at at least 90-110+++( I mean cruised). Very low key and cool. A nice 38 Fever with blower motors that is fast. was pouring on the coals followed it and that quiet turbine before it made the big V look much slower:D

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-18-2002 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Prowler
Go4Broke, that's pretty funny.....I'll go one better, we had a little 19 ft. Lazer w/ a 2.4 merc. ob tricked out, that dumped all of his people to come after us, well, geez we only weigh 4000lbs. more than him, what are some people thinking???? I had 70 gall. of fuel 15 gal. fresh water and two huge anchors plus a full cooler, and he's dumping people.... should I have started throwing things overboard and dumping fuel??:rolleyes: then he tells us he does 86 mph on gps after telling us he dumped everyone to come after us. He was worried about getting that little extra...UNREAL!!
His Laser was slow....I restored one and put a 2.4 EFI Merc on it and the boat would run 92 mph.

I personally would have dumped the people as well, but not for the weight, but for their own safety.

Those boats are a real handfull at those speeds.

I once ran 91mph with my wife aboard.......only once!! ;) :D

After seeing the Sonic @ the AC Boat Show, I must say, they have come along way and look great.

I guess you don't find many used ones for sale because the owners will not part with them.......

Team Gary 08-18-2002 11:08 AM

Sydwayz. The 28 Sonic I worked on had 330's in it. I agree it is a good looking boat.

XCAV8 09-15-2002 01:48 PM

She's all mine , done deal:D :D

mcollinstn 09-15-2002 03:50 PM

Sydwayz

I like the air shot. If you "meant" to do it, then I'm with you all the way. If you did not mean to do it, then I'm worried and concerned...

I've always liked to get "big air" in all my boats (houseboats and cruisers excepted) As a teen, we built a floating ramp that we would launch off in my Whaler. We'd get pretty good altitude. There was a 108' Broward on our lake for a couple of years, and we could get 6-8' of clear distance from the water to the transom behind it...

I've launched my padvee outboards, too. Beat the stringers completely out of my Ebbtide behind a sportfish from repeated launchings. High-speed launches. Height AND distance were both important to me.

Tunnel-vee Mirage with a safety capsule? Yep, jumped it like a jetski (but only at moderate speeds - less than 50 - cause she was awful light in the nose).

My Formula also flies well.

I'm all for safety and judgement, but I like speed and big air too.
Sharkey can't be the only guy who has fun...

CBR 09-15-2002 04:38 PM

You will love your Sonic. Wife and I cruised to Nantucket from Mid Long Island in our 30SS, ten days on the boat was no problem at all. It took seas up to seven feet in stride, with no odd behavior from wacky steps or pad bottoms. Check hyperfishing.com site for a great "Air Sonic" shot at the 2002 NYC Poker Run.

ThirdBird 09-15-2002 08:13 PM

Well put Too Old, I don't see many on eastern Lake Ontario. Every time I do, I check them out pretty close. Really like the walk-around on the deck. Just makes good common sense. Entirely functional and I think it looks tough. Checked out a new friend's 31ss in Kingston, huge cabin!! Way cool slide-out filler cushion in the cabin. Never seen that done before.

This thread has been really interesting to me. I've liked Sonics since I first laid eyes on one. Just didn't know much about quality though. This thread has helped. Now I'm thinking harder about a Sonic! I love my Formula but, getting on the deck to handle an anchor is like friggin ice skating, especially after the requisite number of beers:D

My Formula is 31', same as that Sonic. But, his cabin was just plain large. I could almost stand up in it and I'm 6'-2"!! What a nice boat.

As for all the "Lead Sled" stuff, ride is primary, speed is secondary. I don't know about you guys, but most of the time I'm just cruisin' and enjoying a smooth ride a 40-50 mph. I don't win many races with my big old 31SR1 but I don't realy care. It's still a cool boat and gets a lot of looks and rides real well. Sounds like a Sonic rides nice too. I'll be looking even closer now. Thanks for the good info everyone - beat website on water!!!

wilerty 09-15-2002 10:46 PM

Thirdbird: Funny you should mention it ... Hutchinsons in Alexandria Bay just became a Sonic dealer. They just ordered a 26, 31, 35, and a 45. They were at the factory last Tuesday.

ThirdBird 09-16-2002 06:36 AM

Wilerty, hmmmm, that is interesting. Might be able to catch a ride in one. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info.