taken for thousands by crioked mechanic in marco island >

taken for thousands by crioked mechanic in marco island

Notices

taken for thousands by crioked mechanic in marco island

Old 03-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The starter could have been changed without pulling the engine.

This wasn't even your bill because you did not yet own the boat correct?

Last edited by obnoxus; 03-21-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow wants money back for a bill he never paid ...if the money belongs to anyone its the orig owner who had the work done ... besides manfolds and risers can be done without pulling motor and thats the perfect time to replace starter
Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of varibles, was the bill an estimate and the starter was not the problem? Thinking he thought it needed a new starter, but the motor was hydrolocked with salt water so they just changed the parts, starter was fine.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrouspaul
all you need to do is see the starter to know it's not 1 yr old all the charges are lies. the boat lives
on a trailer I back flush it when it gets home every time out if the water
Back flushing is not going to clean out the bilge. If you get salt water down in there, it will rust and/or corrode EVERYTHING. I have seen things start to look like crap after a few days in the water from a Poker Run. I can only imagine what would happen in a number of months. You also need to coat everything, not just wash it off. Be careful on accusations, before you are absolutely positive. There has been way too much jumping the guns lately!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I hate to admit this, but I was in a rush when I had my 226 Larson and we didn't pull the plug that night when we pulled it up. Stormed that night and open bow put starter underwater.. Started worked fine for about 4-6 months and crapped out!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You want to go confront a mechanic 14 months later about service he performed for somebody else????? and demand reimbursement for something somebody else paid for???????

If you think you have a case, go file a small claims lawsuit.

Do not post the business name on OSO until you have won your case..
Old 03-22-2014, 04:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether he can sue the mechanic or not - if the guy may be taking advantage of folks I would like to hear his name. Although I would like to see the bill/receipt. I do have to say what the hell is wrong with everyone that they accept dishonest sellers as the norm. Maybe I need a surveyor to buy a car, a bike, groceries . . .. I know it is the mechanic here but the more everyone accepts it as the norm the worse it will get.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Florida has a very strict "full disclosure" law that requires a seller to disclose any known defects. You could start by researching that.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are beating a dead horse .What the mechanic did or didn't do for previous owner has nothing to do with you. What does have to do with you is ....You didn't have boat checked before you bought it ....your bad ..Sorry chief .Don't look to blame someone else for your non inspected purchase.......My opinion
Originally Posted by nitrouspaul
looking for opinions on what to do here
last Jan I bought a boat a 26 ft power guest from a nice guy in Marco island.the boat was at the marine mechanics getting new manifolds and risers. I bought it because I thought the price was good and it was being gone over by a mechanic.i got a copy of the invoice after I bought it. well this past month the coupler went so I brought it to my mechanic for replace. of course the motor has to come out for this. once out we see that the plug wires need replace new shift cable new gimbal bearing etc. also suggests a new starter. I see it's rusted to hell the wires on the solenoids are caked in rust buildup flakes
obviously original.

problem:
the invoice from Marco mechanic charges for a new starter and of course the required pull out motor labor.as an aside to further prove this wasn't done as the invoice stated my mechanic had to saw all the mounts out they were rusted solid as well. my question is I know,we know ,that first mechanic was a fraud.
now I am going to drive down from Port Charlotte to Marco and confront first mechanic with the evidence and demand reimbursement of the obvious overcharge. I fully expect to be told. if that happens what's the best way to report this unscrupulous shop and to who I am from Canada we have licensing bureau but not sure a.bout here. happy to reply with shop names to prevent others from this trap.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you didn't pay the original bill it's not your problem, I would let the guy would paid it know, but after that all I would do is "never" take a boat to this certain mechanic.

And I agree with most, don't ever buy a boat of any value without a survey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.