Notices

close calls/near misses?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well lets just say there has been a couple of times ive said o ****.

1 it was 3;30 am and 2 buddies of mine where over drinking we have been at it all night long and then desided to take the boat out one last time before i winterize it and i said hell yes lets do it. so i hooked up to the boat pulled it the 2 mile drive and backed it in and then parked the truck. i got to the boat and started it and started to back up and i heard my billages turn on and i was like thats wired so i opend the engine hatch and sure **** i forgot the damn drain plug. so i hurry back to the dock and then grabbed the truck and pulled it back out. it took 30 mins to drain back out so that was one of those nights i said damn that could have been bad.

2 this is a good one coast guard festivle in grand haven mi i took my recently rebuilt 24 predator that i just put new intterior in and brand new 496 stroker bbc with 15 hrs on it and we were all tied up and im a buddies boat at this point and i look over and i see this 53 carver heading right towrds my boat and i said to my self he isnt stopping sure **** he didnt stop he ran right into the side of my boat and pussed it right up onto the back of my buddies boat and he keep right on going. so i called the cops then the sherif got him pulled over and it went from there.

so my second time taking this boat out it got smashed started taking on water and i had a 20 mile boat ride back to the tailer with the billage on the holl time. lets just say it was a long night and i wasnt to happy about it.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=payuppsucker;4095640]That would've put that hook in your hull you've been looking for.[/

If I only knew then what I know now.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bus
I was over taking a jet ski in a narrow section. They saw me at first then accelerated ahead, I thought for sure they were "racing". Turns out they didn't expect me to catch up. As I started to over take them they turned away, then turned back right toward me. I didn't t have any time to react, it was like a rabbit in the road. They saw the side of my now then turned away, as you see in this video. Looking back I should have slowed down, but also not that the jet ski was near us for about 4 miles before the video and we had made a lot of eye contact (two girls) close call at 90 mph

Caught by my friends go pro, I did not edit or post to you tube

http://youtu.be/zS7hpstIwbM

Wow you passed way too close.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:26 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Coming up the Tickfaw river late one afternoon was not much happing that day at all. Went to New Orleans to eat and make a slow ride back. While coming back up the river there was two tow boats pulling wake boarders. One on each side of the river with ten boarders citing to both sides. I slowed down to see what was happing and to let them see me. Nether took a real concern that they were taking up the whole river riding side by side with room for both boarders to cut fully both sides and one completely on the wrong side.

I picked it was safest to take the center and go between after riding behind them for a while. About that time they both cut in and one fell so the other dropped in the center. Boats boats with spotters watching turned in! Now all 5 of us are In the middle! 3 boats and 2 people. Turned as hard I I could spraying one boat. Was a close call all from people not watching and the spotters not telling the driver what was behind them. I stopped went back a chewed there a$$es out for 1. Riding side by side, 2. One boat going up on the wrong side, 3. The spotters not doing there job, 4. the drivers not looking, 5. Being plain careless.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

There I was water skiing behind my first boat. 17' I/O that I paid $2500. Feeling like I just won the lottery to own this boat I wanted to be the first one in the water to water ski. My brother wanted to drive and a couple of friends were with us. Soooo everything was going good and everyone was watching me ski including my brother. The next thing I know the boat in front of me rocks hard to one side and this huge green channel marker comes up from under the boat and I just missed crashing into it. He ran over a channel marker ! That was 25 years ago but I still remember how lucky I was. LOL
Randy
Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Not again !!!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

MANY years ago - Prop testing on the GLASTRON CARLSON CVX 18 - Just got done and was on the back of the boat changing the prop when I turn around and see two inches of water on top of the cockpit floor.
Opened the engine cover and it is full to above the through hull exhaust. Make a long story short the back of the boat was two inches above water when I found where the water was coming in. ( One of the headers had run dry and completely burnt up the 4 inch exhaust hose connecting it to the through hull. - when I trimmed up the drive and sat on the back of the boat to change the prop it dropped the through partially below the water line.) closest I have ever come to sinking a boat. Couldn't figure out how NO water got into the engine.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos

...says the self appointed safety officer of OSO.
I would say the jet ski passed way to close as they WERE the give way vessel.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a guy pull up to the gas dock at the marina next to my house one day, the gas attendant starts filling up the boat & I was just down there BSing with him. I started to smell gas really bad & looked in the bilge of the boat. Raw fuel all over! I told the kid to stop pumping & jumped in the boat to shut the batteries off as they had the stereo going & such. The boat had a water tank that was disconnected & the attendant thought it was the fuel fill. Well the boat owner wanted to just turn the blower on & go boating!! There was probably about 10 gallons of fuel in the bilge & I told him that he needed to get the fuel out of there & clean it up before even thinking about starting it. He was pretty drunk & started to argue with me so I pulled the key & told him the boat wasn't leaving until it was safe. After some more pissing & moaning he agreed & I went & got stuff to clean up the fuel. I had a repair shop at the marina I was just starting so this was right up my alley. I got everything cleaned up & asked him for $20 for my time & effort. He gave me the money & left. A few weeks later he comes back with a big repair job for me so I thought cool. After I got the repair done the bastard came up in the middle of the night & stole the boat from my lot! Hit me for over $6000 in repair work & the cops wouldn't do anything because he owned the boat! I was thinking at that point maybe I should have let him go boating that day but karma visited him in the form of prison time for embezzlement later that year!! I never got my money out of him but I can say I'll bet I saved his life that day, Too bad there are people like that out there. Randy
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
...says the self appointed safety officer of OSO.
I would say the jet ski passed way to close as they WERE the give way vessel.
Yeah right. Just a common boater and commenting on what I saw. The waverunner wasn't passing in the video, so no......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.