Notices

close calls/near misses?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Some of the close calls that stick out most were as a passenger on other peoples boats... Anyone ever been abruptly woken up because ya just hit a barge? That will get your attention at 7AM....

How about getting stuck in a fog bank on a river, can't see your own bow, and all ya can hear is the fog horn of a large barge somewhere, getting closer.. Those two about made me give up boating...

Personal best, I just purchased one of the boats I own now and decided to take a buddy for a early spring ride. He backed me in at the ramp and went to park the trailer while I warmed up the boat. But for some reason it wouldn't come up on plane when I pushed down on the throttle. Hit the power hatch button, walked to the back, and quickly realized I'd left the plug out... AH CRAP!! Look to my right, there's the plug, in a cup holder and here comes by buddy walking down the boat ramp. I yelled " GET THE TRAILER NOW!!!" He looked all confused, until I held up the plug...

Bilge pump was in a losing battle, no close beach to run up on, and the water was probably about 50F tops.. So I pushed down on the throttle and did donuts with the bow up for 3 minutes while he got the truck and trailer backed in again. Made it on trailer, and ever so slowly pulled it out of the water to insert plug.. Looking back on that one, sometimes wish I would have just swam for shore...

Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a lot of dumb things over the years that other people have done. The one that sticks out in my mind was when I was a kid working at the gas dock when a couple come in on a 40' Tiara diesel boat. I flag him down to show him were to dock. As he is attempting to dock he has the bow pointed directly at me and is coming toward the floating dock. I start to get worried when he doesn't start to spin the boat. I start to yell at him to reverse the boat and he starts to panic and grabs the throttles instead of the shifter and runs the bow of the boat onto the dock hitting the fuel pump. It looked like a beached whale when he finally grabbed the shifters and backed it off the dock. Needless to say the guy was so shook up and embarrassed that he spun the boat around and left.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You Know when a twin inboard comes pulling in and the Driver starts turning the steering wheel to park that the show is just starting ... I have watched for 45 min before
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Yeah right. Just a common boater and commenting on what I saw.:
Which seems to happen with great regularity and usually in conjunction with a statement of others wrong doing and inferred perfection of your own safety skills.
Maybe you need a bit more fiber in your diet. Just a suggestion.

Hijack over, carry on.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
Which seems to happen with great regularity and usually in conjunction with a statement of others wrong doing and inferred perfection of your own safety skills.

Hijack over, carry on.
Pretty amazing assessment from a 12 second clip of a rear facing camera. The annoyance from the jet ski went on a good 6-7 mins before hand
Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SummerObsession

Hijack over, carry on.
Perhaps you should try to drink less coffee, or maybe I should drink more? Next time I will be sure to check with you before posting a comment. That way I'll be sure to better contribute on the forums like you.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4bus
Pretty amazing assessment from a 12 second clip of a rear facing camera. The annoyance from the jet ski went on a good 6-7 mins before hand
Sorry you didn't like my post. So was this a close call or near miss or not?

NOTE: This post was not approved by SummerObsession
Old 03-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Sorry you didn't like my post. So was this a close call or near miss or not?

NOTE: This post was not approved by SummerObsession

It was a near miss, I don't have to like your post for us to agree that I was a near miss. You pointing blame to me is completely unjust.

Right before that video is there is a no wake narrows. I sat there waiting for the jet ski to go (they were next to is before the narrows as well) and they just sat about 500 ft floating. Finally I started to go on plane again and they decided it was time to race the 10,000 lb boat again.

Maybe next time I just shoot them with a gun, then pass?

And I don't know about you, but I always look behind me when I changed heading in a boat, they are no "lanes" like roads. This rule should be 10 fold for a jet ski, but never is.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered

I almost killed a child on Lake of the Ozarks. That's the dumbest thing I ever did.
Was 20 years ago and I had a 550 jetski. Training? HA ! You just buy it and go to LOTO.... or that's what I did. Anyhow, 19MM in the cove where Kalfran Lodge was, I'm wake jumping. Here comes about a 28 foot something or other bowirder plowing a nice big wake and I'm thinking, let's jump this biotch. He's coming at me, I'm coming at him. As soon as I hit the wake and am airborne, I realize that he's towing a 10 year old learning to ski. The kid had swung wide outside the wake so he was on the other side of the boat when I started my run at the wake and when I got in the air, he had cut back behind the boat and I damn near hit him. Probably within 5 feet. I just didn't see him as he was on the other side of the boat.
I was soon circled by about 5 other boats chewing my azz out, deservedly, and I was shaking so bad I had to idle it back in. That was a HUGE reality check for me and not long after, I got rid of the ski and took a boater safety course. I remember it like it was yesterday and to this day, that is always on my mind when boating.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Almost lost my brother out in the ruff when we had the 26' scarab CV. We were running solid mid 70's and she started to catch some air. As she came up and landed onto another decent 3 footer it popped us right back up and she was coming down I look to my right/center ( at this time my brother was around 10 and maybe 65 lbs.). I see his hands about to let go if the seat he was grabbing onto. At that momet I grabbed him center chest by the shirt and as we land and with me pulling he fell hard right in between the seats (dad was driving) who quickly realized what had "almost" happen. My brother gives him the thumbs up and and waves to stay in it and we then proceeded. Probably not the smartest of things but we didn't let the close call bother us and kept on trucking. Except now we just hold on tighter.......although we have calmed down over the years. That was probably the scariest. We later sold that boat and was running mid 80's with a 671.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.