Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Angle bracket to stringer for engine mounts ???? >

Angle bracket to stringer for engine mounts ????

Notices

Angle bracket to stringer for engine mounts ????

Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave M
Here's a pic of the mounts that where in my 24 Superboat. I am not a big fan of the stock Merc. mounts, but the through bolted angle iron was pretty solid. I drove the boat like I stole it and didn't have any issues.

Like that too, longer brackets help spread the load
Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
That aluminum plate will snap in a horizontal position. Most offshore style mounts would have the aluminum plate mounted vertically so you need to turn the mount 90 degrees. That means a differewnt engine mount. They take a lot of punishment.

Wannabe
That's how my 502 is mounted.

As arranged, that looks like fracture city, USA.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
I've seen many boats done like that. Only thing I'd do is add a small gusset and it will be fine. Make sure you use a good backing plate on the other side of the stringer
yup, what he said. that will do the trick. remember when baja used to just drill into the top of the stringer and in a few short years the stringer would be rotten if the mount didn't already pull out lol
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

My current boat is rigged like these guys are saying with the angle iron vertical rather than horizontal. That would require you to get an "offshore" style mount. Depending on how you plan on using the boat, it may not be necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Angle bracket to stringer for engine mounts ????-2010_1120_163404aa.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Used offshore mounts come up all the time. Your not building a bayliner or ski boat. You building a boat that will be launched in the air repeatedly, one thats going to take some hits... Thats 900 pounds naging back there. If it comes unglued its going to cost you a lot more than a $150 offshore mount.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, your arrangement makes MUCH better use of the material's section from an engineering standpoint. That mount will be stiffer and overall stronger.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Hello all.

I'm in the process of mocking up my driveline in my 24-7 project.
The combo is a bravo/bbc.

My question is in mounting the engine to the hull. Specifically, is it ok to use a standard rubber isolator type engine mount bolted down to a 1/2" thick aluminum angle bracket bolted to the stringer? Dana marine sells extruded aluminum angle for this purpose.

Here's a pic of a piece of 1/2", 6 by 6 aluminum angle I have mocked up. Will this be an acceptable install?

I would machine the angle "horizontal" back a bit and through bolt it with a backing plate.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks, rob
rob pm me your cell phone number i have a pair of alunimum mounts for that style motor mount.. ill send you a pic you may need to redrill the holes..also if you plan on doing it that way i usually use either 3/8 or 1/2 like mentioned..also i mount it on the outside of the stringer so the bracket goes over the top of the stringer..it gives the plate better supportand with a plate on the inside..
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

While I'm sure the angle bracket would meet the minimum requirement, I've had a "come to
Jesus" moment and snagged this, just now, on eBay:

It's an NOS Gil mount. I'll get some 3" by 3" by 3/8 aluminum angle and use the vertical mounting method.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I'm sure the angle bracket would meet the minimum requirement, I've had a "come to

It's an NOS Gil mount. I'll get some 3" by 3" by 3/8 aluminum angle and use the vertical mounting method.

U made the right decision. I used to destroy those rubber mercruiser mounts all the time.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wanna sell you existing mounts?
i need the merc part and the "blue part"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.