Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What do you consider "powerloading" >

What do you consider "powerloading"

Notices

What do you consider "powerloading"

Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power loading is the only option where I am. No dock along the ramp. I would rather walk on with ropes. I guess u could get in the water to ur shoulders but I wouldn't dare with some of the igmo's on the ramp I use.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say power loading is very common, I myself do it . Most of the time it's something you have to do depending on your trailer, where your bow stop is located or the angle of the ramp.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

we power load. there is a current and no dock by the ramp. if we put in deep enough that we dont have to the boat drifts sideways on the trailer and ends up all sorts of cocked on the trailer. my dads aluminum trailer has been pushed off the side of the ramp by the current before.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Powerloading is what the ass hat, solo fishing boats do at the local lake I go to.

It is so bad I requise them and there boats on the water. Thats when i slow down, (to be nice, dont want to speed pass them ) to about 12-15 mph, and send the wake of a life time to there boat will there holding there rods . Got to watch out for them rogue waves on the small lakes you know...... Man, do they get pissed !!! And man did i get pissed when I destroyed my prop last year about 10 foot passed the dock (pretty much run a ground) from them power loading and making a mountain of rock and sand.

One ramp I went to last year the DNR gal told me I probably use the "north ramp" when I pulled into the west ramp. I ask her why? And she told me "The landing is crap form boats powerloading, go look for your self. Your boat is just to nice to launch here."

I looked, and at the end of the dock there was a 6-7 foot or deeper hole. About 3 foot out it was maybe 12". As I was looking at the landing, a fishing boat(15-16 foot aluminum boat) got stuck in the 12" of water and I just started to laughing and walked back to my truck. I thanked the lady for the heads up, and went to the other launch.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
How about powering up the ramp? I've done this many times before in FL with slick ramps. Think that would get me into a fist fight in Illinois?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWyi62tCQEk
That folks is pretty much exactly what it looks like when we retrieve either my boat or my son's boat. The winch strap and tie downs are attached back in the parking lot. Note how long that ramp was actually tied up.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Registered

A pic for those having trouble visualizing the drop off, hole, and hump formed from power loading.
Not only can there be a hole at the end but foundation support UNDER the ramp can become washed out. This can allow the concrete to break off, effectively shortening the ramp and creating a secondary drop.

The "hole" forms in a bulb shape so if a ramp does not have a curb that extends all the way, it is possible to drop off the side too.

I found a two speed winch to be very helpful to drag the last foot.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
That folks is pretty much exactly what it looks like when we retrieve either my boat or my son's boat. The winch strap and tie downs are attached back in the parking lot. Note how long that ramp was actually tied up.
Pretty ballsy taking that big boy out without a winch strap hooked up...
Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Step bottom boat is not coming off the trailer. Listen and you can hear the outboards pushing it up the ramp as well.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I work at a marina and probably pull out / put in several hundred boats a year. We pretty much power load every single one of them. As long as it's not a roller trailer and you know what you're doing, it's not an issue.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

I have never understood why people have a boat that costs quite a bit of change but WONT buy a good winch. My local ramp now has the center and right side concrete breaking out of it from people power loading. A BIG sign says "NO POWER LOADING" but they still do. (bass and power boat guys)
I run a 24ft Scarab with a blown bb. Even at dead low tide with the trailer almost off the ramp I never power load, I have a winch and pvc guide poles on my trailer. I'm not picking on anyone but if your not strong enough to winch the boat up get a power winch.
If a ramp is not designed for power loading (long concrete run) all your doing is F&^%#*G up the marina owners ramp.
Ok, I'm done..... Thanks god the weather has finally broken around here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.