What do you consider "powerloading" >

What do you consider "powerloading"

Notices

What do you consider "powerloading"

Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts
Question What do you consider "powerloading"

I consider power loading trying to get up on the trailer with more than idle power.

I have front bunks and I like to ride up on my trailer at idle and keep it in forward till my wife cranks it up all the way. Without the extra propulsion its a B itch to get it as far up as I need it.
Last year some jackass was having a $hit fit yelling at me all crazy that I need to stop POWERLOADING.. I kinda tried explaining that I don`t consider idle "power" . he wasn`t getting it things got ugly.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

technical defition would be probably using any sort of power to assist you in loading. Personally idle or neutral I dont have a problem with as you idle into and away from the dock. People get upset and rightfully so for really gassing it up onto trailers, which ruins launches and creates a headache for others.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 266 Likes on 93 Posts

Using your boats propulsion to load it on the trailer....

Sounds like you are "technically" power loading but in the best way possible.

Even at idle your props are still causing "washout" at the boat ramp

IMO if you need to drive the boat to the trailer for whatever reason, idle up to the trailer and put in neutral and coast onto the trailer. You only get one chance. Backing off or using forward to push the boat onto the trailer is power loading. Then the rest needs to be done with the winch.

I do agree that some people watching will feel that anything power loading. Just leaving the engines running after you pull up to the dock could make someone made even if they are in neutral.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have been 'spoken' too about power loading! All I do is idle up to the front stops!
Most of the time I load and unload alone, kind of hard to pull a boat of size onto a trailer alone!

Power loading in my opinion is anything above an idle, no different then power UNLOADING!!
Seems like the ones that complain about power loading really have no issue about driving a boat OFF of a trailer.
But when you try and explain that they loose all thought process and shut up

I see so many boats power loading under great stress and truly believe that is the real issue and cause of ramp wash out.
Leaving a boat in gear, at idle, on the trailer will do very little to no damage to the ramp! Unless its there for hours
Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Seems like everyone powerloads on the ramps at our local lake. Some use a little more power than others. I've seen guys damn near push their trucks up the ramp!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

At my home lake power loading is common place. I do agree that the main concern would be ramp washout but our ramps are concrete at least 50 feet behind the boat and probably go to a depth of 20 feet below the surface. That being said, I guess I’m guilty of “power loading” also. I back the trailer in while she is on the slow approach, I leave the trailer somewhat shallow so it stops the boat a foot or two short of the bow stop. I hook the strap and crank while she goes slightly above idle to assist it up to the stop.

On the other hand, what does upset me is when someone in an adjacent lane is hammering the throttle on his bass boat or runabout to get it up to the stop. These guys always seem to be backed in too shallow and trimmed up throwing a rooster tail when she is approaching with my boat…
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. Is floating on not possible? I.e no where to stand due to water on trailer or ramp is too short? I've seen people power loading miss and Scratch the crap out of their boat. The bass boat people are just ridiculous around here.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

I think the bass boat people are like that everywhere. I swear they're pushing 4000rpms loading there 1k pound boat
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power loading [ drive the boat up to the stop ] was widely used by jet boaters for decades but not really advisable for heavier deep V boats IMO. Not only it stirs up sediments at the launch ramp but it's hard on the bunks & screws holding them on to the trailer. I've been loading my jetboats under power in the past when was by myself and it was quick to get out of the way so impatient people wouldn't b,,,tch about waiting too long,LOL. I dunk my trailer completely to get the bunks wet ,then pull up til the front section of the bunks show above water level. Float the boat up as far as it can, hook the winch strap and crank the boat up quite easily. You must get the bunks wet so winching the boat a couple of feet to the stop won't cause abrasions on the hull.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Power loading is revving to the the moon, or close to it; pushing the boat all the way up to the final resting place.

Normally I'll idle onto the trailer, or give it one little blip to make sure it "sticks" on the front bunks, so I can get out without the boat floating away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.