shipping a boat, best way to protect? >

shipping a boat, best way to protect?

Notices

shipping a boat, best way to protect?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default shipping a boat, best way to protect?

I have a boat that is going to be headed from here to Texas in a few weeks and i am looking for the best way to protect it, problem is the owner opted to not have any kind of mooring cover made so there are no snaps anywhere on the boat. I have had my shrink wrap guy look it over to do a full taped wrap to below the hard chine as an option but am not fond of all that shrink on fresh paint. He has advised a partial wrap is a bad idea stating any forward facing openings or attachments that go across the finish are at risk of fluttering and damaging the surface. He has actually advised if weather permits its probably best to shoot out in good weather totally open. Wondering if i could make some covers for the bolsters and cover the dash and hatch with something, but again there the constant wind issue. Without a dedicated mooring cover its a head scratcher. Any thoughts?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Total wrap or nothing and dodge the weather
Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

might want to confir with the customer. I would say shrink wrap, if not leave it open.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

we have been discussing it, tossing ideas around. My biggest concern with a full wrap is two things really, the constant wind for one and a shipper that may or may not keep an eye on it properly looking for potential issues. I have a friend here that has bid on it and he is also a Cig owner but the bid has been put out to U-Ship and has been undercut. Those guys will haul stuff for nothing, when it came up it was from Miami to N Ohio for like fifteen hundred. Its tough to compete with that.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-02-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say shrink wrap it. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of boat manuf use shrink wrap when transporting their boats to dealers so I would say it should be good for long hauls.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

As long as it has a cockpit drain, just roll it and hope for the best.
I don't like it, but that's really the only option.

Pull the bottom of the back seat out and stow in the cabin, so a discarded lit cigarette butt does not nest on the backseat and burn in.
Put the bolsters seats down if they are drop downs for the same reason.

MAKE SURE they hauler that does up DOES NOT have smoke stacks on the truck. That will be disastrous on the interior, especially if it rains.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Will it be sitting on it's own traler? If so, couldn't the shring be brought all the way down and attached/taped to the trailer instead of the new paint.

Padraig
Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lastcall02
I would say shrink wrap it. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of boat manuf use shrink wrap when transporting their boats to dealers so I would say it should be good for long hauls.
Mine was completely heat shinked when it came from New Hampshire on a well over 2000 mile trip.
Although it was very watertight and weatherproof the installer got a bit greedy with the flame and there were quite a few spots that it stuck to the gelcoat and was a PIA to remove delicately.
With the fresh paint he enjoys going open in good weather is the way I'd do it. I'd bet he'll be in Texas on day 2 for delivery.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered

Donzi used to ship all of their new boats with Transhield covers. It's basically a shrink wrap cover with a soft felt inner liner and they work great to keep the boat clean and protect the finish. Not sure if you could find or get one for your boat.

http://www.transhield-usa.com/transh...em_covers.html
Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lloyds of london?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.