Notices

Mercury Blackhawk drives

Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Most P-29's I've seen have fuelie 350's.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

In reference to breaking Blackhawks:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-magizine.html

I've seen other similar stories over the yeas too.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
Damn a Blackhawk with 2 shifting props could be interesting ..
Shifting props do not like to be surfaced...They self destruct!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a Scarab P29 with 550HP per motor and rebuilt BlackHawks with 1:50 gears, Rebuilt with XR parts and the stock 31p props with some mild modifications, I do keep a spare on hand as well. They will stay together if driven with care, back off the throttle when out of the water and they aren't for hammering out of the hole. It's not so much that they were blowing apart that Merc stopped manufacturing but there were wasn't a big enough market for them in the twin setup and boats built with a natural bow lift were suited for the Black Hawk, other manufactures weren't going to change to accommodate. It s a very efficient setup. They are a great drive and wanted in the shorter boat single setup design and there is where the market is/would be. Parts are easily available and it is the knowledge to rebuild the drive properly where there is a shortage (just don't hell the casing). Tim Bostic with Hoss Props has explored the thoughts of bringing back as well and he could make props for them since his dad worked with Merc back in the day in the development of them. Gary Musenburg was a lead developer in the BlackHawk back in the day and has lot of information about the drive, he's around some where.

Last edited by k4armstrong; 04-03-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by k4armstrong
I'm running a Scarab P29 with 550HP per motor and rebuilt BlackHawks with 1:50 gears, Rebuilt with XR parts and the stock 31p props with some mild modifications, I do keep a spare on hand as well. They will stay together if driven with care, back off the throttle when out of the water and they aren't for hammering out of the hole. It's not so much that they were blowing apart that Merc stopped manufacturing but there were wasn't a big enough market for them in the twin setup and boats built with a natural bow lift were suited for the Black Hawk, other manufactures weren't going to change to accommodate. It s a very efficient setup. They are a great drive and wanted in the shorter boat single setup design and there is where the market is/would be. Parts are easily available and it is the knowledge to rebuild the drive properly where there is a shortage (just don't hell the casing). Tim Bostic with Hoss Props has explored the thoughts of bringing back as well and he could make props for them since his dad worked with Merc back in the day in the development of them. Gary Musenburg was a lead developer in the BlackHawk back in the day and has lot of information about the drive, he's around some where.
Your boat is bada$$. Love the avatar.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The early Blackhawks had the original Bravo gears so they had the typical problem with the gear floor. The later ones had the newer style gears.

I will have a few (5) brand new Blackhawks available. I have brand new housings and have rounded up the rest of the parts. I can put these together with pretty much any ratio & gear. X, XR, stock, even with ITS input shaft which is what I am using on my 20' Cig project. Any interest let me know.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Single engine boats have not benefitted from the horsepower proliferation that the twin boats have due to the issues associated with having a single prop. There could be a market for a duo prop drive that could handle 1000+ hp. That would allow boats up to 33-35 to have a single engine. It would need to be cheaper and stronger than twin XRs.

A lot of the big power single Vs seem to be limited by their handling when going for big speed.

Last edited by hogie roll; 04-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Seems like everyone thinks of running them instead of a short Bravo, or thinking they are surfacing like a #6...
wonder if they would be a good alternative to the elusive Alpha SS instead of trying to run on the bigger applications???
Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

My single needs a B3 instead of a B1X. I have a very deep X dimension. Would running the Blackhawk be the equivalent of running a B3 shorty? What's the difference in height between a B3 and Blackhawk?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
My single needs a B3 instead of a B1X. I have a very deep X dimension. Would running the Blackhawk be the equivalent of running a B3 shorty? What's the difference in height between a B3 and Blackhawk?
8 inches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.