Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How Often Do You Wax Your Boat? >

How Often Do You Wax Your Boat?

Notices

How Often Do You Wax Your Boat?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never "wax" my boat. Period. Never. I use a high quality polish. Once a year by machine, then once in the middle of summer by hand if needed.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 177 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
I never "wax" my boat. Period. Never. I use a high quality polish. Once a year by machine, then once in the middle of summer by hand if needed.
You do realize that you're pretty much assuring the need to remove gelcoat every time you polish right? Polish removes a microscopic layer of the surface in order to expose a "new" surface below. "Wax" on the other hand adds a microscopic protective layer - which helps eliminate the need for constant polishing. And I put the word "wax" in quotes because there are many types of products that "seal" the surface. Some of them are indeed made from wax.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hullsides twice per season, deck 5 or 6 times per season. Meguiars Premium Boat Wax is the BOMB. Every two years with my Fountain, I would spend a day on the deck...cut/glaze, polish, pure carnuba, then finish it off with the Premium. The boat was a 1995...it was still looking pretty good in 2009, considering how difficult it is to keep red gelcoat looking fresh.

Second pic is the AT after its first waxing last spring...
Attached Thumbnails How Often Do You Wax Your Boat?-spring09-005.jpg   How Often Do You Wax Your Boat?-waxed.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm in the north and have a short season too. Also, my boat is trailered and stays in a garage. My boat and two Mustangs get waxed once a year. My truck, twice a year because it gets driven in the winter. That Cig is really shining, I C Dead People! Even shinier than my Donzi after I waxed it yesterday. Ya gotta love red!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buff whole boat with Strata Ultra Cutting Cream Light then buff with Strata Ultra Polish every spring. Do the deck once a month with Mothers by hand.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wax once per year and use turtle wax ice in between
Old 04-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twice a year with Waxing Frenzy, and use the Frenzy Spray Wax touch-up about once per month in between.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once a year. Wash with boat soap with wax. Usually water still beads up when I wash for winter storage. I use
attwood polish and woodywax soap with a touch of salt away mixed in. Transom under platform gets purple power after each use. I need to find an hd wax for that so I dont have to degrease all the time. I store indoors with a fan always blowing to move air to inhance evaporation/ humidity control.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never with wax...makes the deck too slick and unsafe to walk on.. New buff job only when needed.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 04-03-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

I spray wax it every time I use it after a wash so it sparkles.

I have yet to wax but only had it since Oct and Fast Boats did a full detail on it before I got it.

Prob a good wax job twice a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.