Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lexan / Plastic Subwoofer Boxes >

Lexan / Plastic Subwoofer Boxes

Notices

Lexan / Plastic Subwoofer Boxes

Old 05-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Have had excellent results skim coating the mdf with fiberglass reinforced body filler. You must follow up with a coating after. Makes a nice smooth surface for painting too if you're not planning on using upholstery.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Ok guys, so we looked into the options, and we found in our situation it would still be best for us to use MDF. I looked for the Advantek and coosa, but neither was very readily available, and truthfully, I do not mind replacing it every few years. So, I now have the next question. What type of resin to use. West systems epoxy or west marine polyester resin. Is hardener necessary? Also, would it be beneficial to put a layer of fiberglass on it, or would that just be a waste?

Thanks for all the input.
I just get the regular resin you can get at any hardware store. If you need it to be pretty sand the box and fill with bondo it needed. Then 2 or three coats of resin with a light sanding between coats. Then paint. I think my cabinet/bench seat is 4 or 5 years old and no problems from water.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Ok guys, so we looked into the options, and we found in our situation it would still be best for us to use MDF. I looked for the Advantek and coosa, but neither was very readily available, and truthfully, I do not mind replacing it every few years. So, I now have the next question. What type of resin to use. West systems epoxy or west marine polyester resin. Is hardener necessary? Also, would it be beneficial to put a layer of fiberglass on it, or would that just be a waste?

Thanks for all the input.
you can use any cheep resin to coat the box. I would put a layer of fiberglass so when the wood starts to swell at the seams it will not cause cracks that could let in moisture. (Kind of like tape on drywall seams to keep from cracking)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you coat and glass everything (including the cutouts), and seal all the screws, it should hold up well. I would use AdvanTech also, but it's hard to find.