Notices

What would you do?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would you do?

Long story short, I have been back and forth on my stereo. I started out looking at MB quart because I really liked the way they look and I need a marine 6x9 preferably white. But decided that It would prob leave me wanting more after I got them due to reviews. Then I got hooked on the plan to do a wet sounds set up, and I can get a bit of a discount. My issues with them were... They don't have a 6x9 that I could use(there's is a horn). In the end evan with the discount it was a real pricey set up, they were sliver and I would have to modify a lot to get them to fit right. So after a good search I decided to go with memphis. I found this place. http://www.soundwavesmi.com and they had some good prices on 2013 stuff. So I called them up and ordered a 10 inch sub 2 sets of 6.5's ,6x9's and a amp. I was happy with the price... Not super cheap but a better priced than most my other options. So they come in today and non of the stuff says memphis on... It all says DJ marine. I call them up they tell me it's the same stuff with different logo, same warranty everything. I'm pissed cuz I clearly order the stuff that says memphis. I tell them I want a shipping label so I can sen there crap back. Guy tells me he is the manager but he can't help me call back later. I call credit card company and have them put ahold on the charge. In the mean time I get ahold of memphis and ask them about this. They tell me that " I'm not going to tell you it's not the same stuff.... But it's not memphis and if you have a problem they will not help" I go over to a friends house and he had a set of genuine memphis stuff. Upon inspection everything is the same... I mean everything. We compared the little capacitors in the cross overs..... Same brand and size.... Circuit boards.... Same maker... Everything. Hooked a 6.5 up.... Sounds good. I feel cheated.... But as my friend said(he uses all memphis stuff) " don't let anger make you jump to conclusions and ship it back.... It looks and sounds like the 2013 stuff." So at this point I'm just upset cuz I got mislead......
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Registered

Default Pics

Attached Thumbnails What would you do?-image.jpg   What would you do?-image.jpg   What would you do?-image.jpg  

What would you do?-image.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 02:20 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

-thats bullchit right there... you paid for the memphis audio label too, whether its the same stuff or not...
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Sucks you paid for it. But thanks for the tip to those of us trying to score Memphis at a discount. I like their stuff, but honestly there can't be that many different Chinese factories making this ****. Are the amps the same too?

One of my buddies and I are now subscribing to the best buy warranty plan. I blew 4 speakers and 1 sub last year trying to shop on price. After that I bought a kicker sub from BB. Granted it probably won't blow now, but I can just drop it off and get a new one if it does.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Registered

The impression I got was Memphis used to have the MM series .... Now they have the MX series. This is the why..... I see it at work all the time. They prob had a contract with the company that produces the subs and amps, after that exclusive contract ran out. The maker started selling to other and Memphis created a new line up. Yes the amp is exactly the same. I'm still on the fence about the deal.... I have just under 1 k wrapped up I. This crap... Not sure if it's a good deal on quality stuff.... Or to much $$$ fir crap
Old 04-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not uncommon for a manufacturer to white label.

Wet Sounds had a similar thing. Their in-boats were manufactured by BSA out of Brazil as Bravo-X. WS xs650 sell for $279/pr. I bought 30 pr of M6-odb for $70/pr.
I compared, knew they were essentially identical and assumed the risk of no warranty in exchange for price.

The bad part about your case is, the seller appears to intentionally advertise Memphis but switch to an off brand. This likely cost them considerably less and as mentioned you have no warranty with Memphis, only the seller (if they choose and are still in business)
I would offer to have one frank conversation with the owner (don't get the 5 call run around). Price needs to be comparable with name, quality and warranty. If you cannot come to an agreement, offer to make the equipment available for return (on his dime) or you will file a Chargeback based on product not as expected and no merchant cooperation. Merchant WILL lose the chargeback and his money, you will get money back. end of story.

I would also seek a few upper management email address from Memphis and let them know of this vendor's bait and switch type practices. I doubt they will be too happy their name is being used for Soundwavesmi to sell a different product.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 04-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

I'm already on all that!! Memphis is having there regional manager pay them a visit. I just got off the phone whit the owner of this line(weird that he is also the owner of this shop). We had a very interesting conversation to say the least. He promises that this is the same stuff. I have required him to compose and send me an e-mail with his company letter head(company that I gave my $$ to) stating that I have a 60 day no BS refund guarantee that I am %100 satisfied with the equipment. I informed him that I was going to remove the board of the amp and put it right next to the board of a memphis amp and compare everything.... Then I was going to install it and if i was not %100 happy he was getting it back. He invited me to do that and said he had no problem putting it in writing. So for now I think I'm going to give it a shot.... My CC company agrees with the fact that I have been deceived and gives me up to 60 days also to push the claim threw. He Alonso informed me that. Received a 5 year warranty on this stuff not a 2 year like I thought. We will see if I get this e-mail or not soon hear.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I'm already on all that!! Memphis is having there regional manager pay them a visit. I just got off the phone whit the owner of this line(weird that he is also the owner of this shop). We had a very interesting conversation to say the least. He promises that this is the same stuff. I have required him to compose and send me an e-mail with his company letter head(company that I gave my $$ to) stating that I have a 60 day no BS refund guarantee that I am %100 satisfied with the equipment. I informed him that I was going to remove the board of the amp and put it right next to the board of a memphis amp and compare everything.... Then I was going to install it and if i was not %100 happy he was getting it back. He invited me to do that and said he had no problem putting it in writing. So for now I think I'm going to give it a shot.... My CC company agrees with the fact that I have been deceived and gives me up to 60 days also to push the claim threw. He Alonso informed me that. Received a 5 year warranty on this stuff not a 2 year like I thought. We will see if I get this e-mail or not soon hear.
How did this turn out? I ordered from the same place last week, shipping was fast and I too expected Memphis Audio products, but got DJ Audio. It does say in the description (in smaller font) that it is DJ Audio logo'd stuff, but again it is advertised as being Memphis. If it sounds good, I don't really care. I got 4 6.5" and 4 - 8" speakers delivered for under $500. I am debating sending it back, I purchased through Paypal so it should be pretty easy to get this taken care of, and just go with JL audio.

So do they sound OK, are they worth it in your opinion?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

For the price they worked out well. I blew my sub the first time out. I kinda think I had it turned up a little high, I ordered a new one and did not have problems with it.... I could have sent the blown one back but time got away from me.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bait & switch is not cool.

At anytime did you wonder how they could be selling Memphis products at half price? Does the sound compare to the real deal? If so you may consider yourself lucky that the off label stuff doesnt sound lke cap too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.