Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thunder in the City or Rock the Bay ? >

Thunder in the City or Rock the Bay ?

Notices

Thunder in the City or Rock the Bay ?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder in the City or Rock the Bay ?

Wanting to do a run or two this summer that I've never done and these two work with my schedule. Which would you do ? Both seem to be similar in location and stops. Don't think I'd do both, but you never know...... no need to bash just want to know if you've done them and how they were................
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Rock the Bay is bigger but not positive. If you need a mate, I'm available!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Both good Poker Runs, Poker Runs America just bought Rock the Bay Poker Run.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 04-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I usually go to watch for motivation. Mine hasn't run in two seasons. But I'd love to run in a poker run with my little pocket rocket compared to those "big boys" my WOT is them just getting on plane! Haha
Old 04-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Rock the bay by far! Great party , fun people , easy going no snob's
Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys......I'm leaning towards Rock the Bay, but we'll see which one works best for me......... any other opinions let me know........
Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Registered

I have done both a few times over the years....and I have enjoyed both ...., Thunder in the City is a charity based Event, Vic and his sponsors do good work giving back to those who are facing some unbelievable challenges in life. The Thunder Run is first class and is something to experience. RTB is always very well attended and draws alot of boats, both Events have first rate hardware ...

I have run them in both of my boats and have felt welcome no matter what I was driving...like any run...the atmosphere and weather add to the mix quite a bit....Rock The Bay was always later in the Season and often fell victim to some the Bays later season storms.... If you like a fresh water run that is easy to get to, launch and has safe facilties for your Crew and Rigs...you really can't go wrong with either of these.

Exit 100 off of I-95 gets you to NorthEast / Rising Sun, Route 272 which runs right into town and is about as simple of a venue to get to, and out of, there is a Flying J - Truck Plaza near by, and one of the local Sunoco's has Race Gas if need be, Cecil County Dragway is near by and you can often hear the cars running from the shadows of Anchor Marine by the Naughty Goose. The Northern Bay is a spectacularly beautiful area....I've been priveleged to have been boating there since the 90's.

I think it will be great to see what Poker Runs America does with RTB.... either way both are good times... Thunder In The City is based out of the Chesapeake Inn and is such a great venue, with Staff and Food that is really second to none. If you enjoy running with others, can accept the fact that there is always someone faster, check your ego at the door and just enjoy your boat and the great people .... and the good times.

I think you will have a good time at either....lately I have leaned toward Thunder In the City because of the nature of the Event....and it is a First Class Time....enjoy the Bay.

Good Luck & Safe Boating

Danny
Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Registered

Dr. Dan, thanks so much for that information....... That's the type of info I was looking for.........

Last edited by Here's Johnny; 04-06-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondPerformance
Both good Poker Runs, Poker Runs America just bought Rock the Bay Poker Run.

Yes, can confirm this as we bumped into Bill Taylor this morning at Detroit airport.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Registered

i did both runs last year they are both pretty much on the same body of water. I thought that thunder in the city was a better organized run and the lunch stop was much better as well. the awards party at night was also much better the place and the food was great. ill be doing just thunder in the city this year