Welding external block cracks ? >

Welding external block cracks ?

Notices

Welding external block cracks ?

Old 08-16-2002, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa whoa back up a minute

Your comparing an ENGINE out in the water with a 7 or 8 inch CRACK In it rigged back together to a TIRE?

Nuff said

Why dont you put it into terms that are equal

Go to an engine builder of your choice
he has 2 blocks there

one is cracked and other is just fine

which one is cheaper?
The one that is fine is cheaper cause he would take the cracked one and toss it in the god damn dumpster where it belongs

Nuff said
Old 08-16-2002, 01:38 PM
Registered

white knuckle
okay sorry for the quack comment my fault
but he already has the engine out
read origional post there
it is already out of the boat
plus the pic shown, the nut is already off of the motor mount anyway so you could tell it was going to be pulled anyway.

I would not go anywhere near a cracked block
no way
would you put a cracked block in your boat?

I would NEVER even go there
Old 08-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Registered

Talking

Has anybody ever sleeved a $29.00 cracked block?
Old 08-16-2002, 03:50 PM
Registered

Broke the motor mount boss off of a formula2 race motor and we welded it back for a backup motor but it ran better than the replacement. I switched it back and ran the whole season on it. If it is repaired properly it will be stronger than before. Typical of most welding repairs. But you still have to figure the cost of proper repair as opposed to replacement.

Buy a $29.95 junk yard motor(the cheapest I have seen is 99.00 and you remove it yourself) tear it down only to find it worn out and then where are you.

In a perfect world we would all rather by new.

Todd
Old 08-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

I wouldn't put a cracked block in my boat. I never pulled mine. Simply patched it and went boating.

A tire is a chamber that holds air. A water jacked is a chamber that holds water. Both are pressurized and both can be pathed.

nuff said

I would have to say that this particular crack it pretty big to repair. The ones I repaired where 3-4 inches. It all depends on whats the boat worth and whats it worth to you to fix it.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quack

quack quack quack Jay is rite motor is OUT here in Seattle I can get 305 block for $25 and a complet runner for $100 boating is supose to be fun not build parinoya (sp) Charlie
Old 08-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just another .02 ......

I have fixed stuff plenty of times . JB works good MOST of the time . And it can just be welded too . But the heat may distort the block and warp the cylinders ,leading to a seized piston shortly after assembley . IT will also warp the deck serface if welded so close so you need top deck it now .

I say ,since it's out , and you have to tear it down anyway to check or fix it . You should just get a new block . It's not cheap to have these things welded or JB'ed by a machanic . I paid $200 to have a small crack fixed in a head . A new block cant' be that much . For example , Summit racing has a ford 302 block fully machined ready to assemble for $329 . I'm sure a chevy would be cheaper . Plus you don't have to machine it . Good luck in what ever you do . It is never as cheap as we would like it to be .BUT ,if you do it 2 or 3 times before you get it right it cost a whole lot more !! Been there !
Old 08-16-2002, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say in this case the crack is to close to the motor mount
for JB {Quack-Quack } If he has to spend the $ scrap the 305
{junk motors anyway} find a 350.........be sure to drain this winter!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to agree with Jayl13. JB weld works in an emergency but come on guys, why rig something like a block. You're the same guys that always whine about mechanics, saying I don't trust anyone but myself working on my boat. But I 'll bet not many real marine mechanics would JB Weld a customers block. Besides getting a junk yard block and cleaning it up and assembling it can be a rewarding project.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:16 PM
Registered

ads 6 im welder by trad and we weld cast iron all the time in the shop for that block to be repaird it need to be taken a part and slowly warmed to about 400 degrees and weld with palco 808 cast iron rods and pinged well and aloud to cool in a lime vat verry slowly if you get in a hurrey it wount work cost is a round 100 $ to 300$ if he can replace it chepper go for it those palco rods are a bout 500$ for 10 lbs we buy them 2 times a year robbie rogers , rogers welding and fab

Quick Reply: Welding external block cracks ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.