Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What project boat should I pick? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31057-what-project-boat-should-i-pick.html)

boomer 08-16-2002 11:58 AM

There was a 26' HUSTLER listerd awhile back that need work. Maybe some one still knows the ad.

Gary Anderson 08-16-2002 12:09 PM

If your looking at a boat that age, I hope you're planning to strip EVERYTHING out and start over.
Do you know how to wire a boat?
Do you know the difference between JIC and SAE hydraulic fittings?
Have you done any glass work? Do you know the compatibility with polyester, vinyl ester, and epoxy?
Do you have a source for cheap used parts.
Old boat economics 101: If you need to put a lot of new parts in an old boat, you end up with an old boat costing as much as a new boat.
You're better off starting with a trashed boat (good hull) with bad engines/drives rather than no engines/drives. The little parts, pumps, alternators, brackets, mounts, drive & gimbal parts, hydraulics, etc.add up to A LOT of money if bought new.
Gary

Jayl13 08-16-2002 12:28 PM

I totally agree with Gary A on this one
and to add to it,
whatever you think your going to spend on stuff
triple it and your lucky if you break even

I am about 15 thou in to my project so far and she runs but not well enough for my tastes
Holley carbs 830 CFM Times 2 at $770 each equals bend over and try to kiss your own ass
hows that?
That is my latest problem lol

but a car carburetor at 830 cfm holley is about 389
Just a little glimpse as to what your facing when you redo engines and so on
I wont even talk about gimbal rings, bearings, boots, transom plates, water in your hydraulic trim struts,
Most important
get a good hull with good wood in it (stringers HAVE to be solid or your going to hate your boat for the rest of your life and you would not be able to sell it cause no one would want it)
If you want something you can just jump in and go out on, look for newer boat
anything 10-12 years old has probably been neglected and needs an ass full of stuff
cant avoid it water kills boats
seems nuts but anyone on there will back that statement up 150%

Oh you might want to join the tool tossing club if your going to take on a project like this as well
Me, Audio, Too old, Allan4, RCM255, Cord, and others are members.
Hey, who holds the record on a regular size 3.8ths rachet for distance?
I think I hold the distance record of throwing an intake manfold about 35 feet and a riser about 50 feet

Jason

Gary Anderson 08-16-2002 12:49 PM

Jayl13
"I am about 15 thou in to my project so far"
OUCH!!!!!!!!
"Hey, who holds the record on a regular size 3.8ths rachet for distance?"
Does that include the depth of water it sank in?
KN
For reference: I'm looking at putting together a 86, 31' Wellcraft Cat, 540s & ASD6s. If I cant do it for under $22K (including trailer), I wont even bother. It's not worth my time or the aggrivation.
BTW, plan on skipping boating for a summer. You'll end up waiting for parts, machine shops, etc.
Gary

Jayl13 08-16-2002 12:56 PM

Hey Gary, long time bro
Miss the 38 scab yet?
Yes I still have it as a screen saver on my pc

Yeah about 15 g's so far
Now im stuck cause the new engines dont like the rochesters and are running lean and poofing out the carbs
So enter Mr Holley
at about 1500 bones
so lets bump that 15 grand to 16500 now.
Does it ever end?

No the 3/8ths rachet tossing contest does not count distance to the sea floor, cause if your out and have a rachet in your hand, the other hand should be on the VHF calling your buddy asking if he has a rope good enough to tow your ass in !!!!

Oh yeah one more thing
If you are married, engaged, or have a very serious girlfriend
I do NOT suggest you go with a project boat
cause the boat will have tons of loot dumped into it and for her birthday you will be able to afford to get her a news paper, and make paper flowers out of it and a gum ball machine plastic toy for her cause you need intake manifolds, and those damn riser gaskets again and again and again, oh damn I need a different fuel line, and the machine shop put this on wrong and that and this and that and this
why dont they make stuff for cars like boats?
cause boats are different so forget ANY short cuts with car stuff other than oil filters (and you better buy a damn good oil filter too)

Jason

Gary Anderson 08-16-2002 01:12 PM

Jayl13
Just drove the 38 a few weeks ago. Sold it to a friend, but he's trashed it pretty good. Probably holding the block together with epoxy (other thread).
I still want to go fast once in a while, that's why I'm looking at the cat.
BTW, I've got more bad news for you. The Qjets are spreadbore, the Holley's a squarebore. You're going to need an intake manifold too. Ouch.

"If you are married, engaged, or have a very serious girlfriend
I do NOT suggest you go with a project boat"
YEP!!!!
But it is a pretty effective way to get rid of one.
Gary

Jayl13 08-16-2002 01:23 PM

Well I just bought 2 polished performer manifolds for these blocks and they are spread bore yes
but the manifolds are drilled and came with gasket and adaper plate for square bore carbs so no worries my friend.
that part was the one thing that DID work out in my favor.

He TRASHED IT?
OH your kidding?
Dude, take him in the bathroom, shut out the lights and beat the piss out of him.

As for the girlfriend
dude she looks yummy from here LOL
but I hear ya, good way to get rid of one too, they will feel as they are in competition with an inanimate object.
My wife is the most understanding woman I know (reason I did the one knee bit with her!)

she still gets pissed off at the boat all the time though.

Jason

CRUBOSS 08-16-2002 02:04 PM

IT ALL SOUNDS LIKE TOO MUCH WORK....LETS HAVE ANOTHER BEER

B.R.S. 08-16-2002 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done three projects over the last 8 years or so. My 2nd was a 1978 24' Pantera. I absolutely loved that boat but sold it to move up to an 8.8 Meter Fountain and am wishing I still had it. If I ever see it for sale I would buy it back in a heartbeat. It is super in rough water and with a stock crate GM 502 ran mis 60's on gps. If any one tells you that they are money makers thay are lying. The parts costs you get back when you sell but you work for about $ .02 anh hour so it had bettrt be a labor of love. I will definetly take on another project in the future. Buy an old 24 Pantera!

KN 08-16-2002 03:53 PM

Hey guys thanks for the concern, I realize how much work and money is involve, I'm looking for a project to do over the winter, I'm in no rush and don't care if it takes 3 years to finish, my boating season is only 7 months long, and it's a long winter. I have a 32' boat with power that is still under warrenty.

PS. I've found one of the above boats with power (not running) Bravo 1 drive, they claim the hull is in great shape:rolleyes: we'll see for around $ 7,000 I'm going to take a look at it in a couple of weeks if it's still available.

Thanks Kirk

PS. B.R.S. nice Pantera