If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #9 Charter Member hp500efi's Avatar
    Pewaukee, WI

? for you guys that tow with PSD

Do you guys with the PSD tow in overdrive? Freeway driving 70 MPH average.

I am currently towing my 28' PQ in OD with no problem at all. That Diesel pulls like a SOB and I just wondered what some of you others were doing. It would seem to me that it is fine to pull in OD but figured I would ask the board.

If you can reply and list for me the size or weight of your boat that would help me.

Member of the Liquid Jungle

My Boats:
    1984 Chris Cat
    Troy, Mich

PSD Towing

HP- There should be no problem towing in OD on the Power Strokes. The newer ones can handle big loads, but on up/downhill sections I would switch to drive to stop the busy shifting and save brakes.

10,000#, Always, Drive = 2600rpm, max torque is around 16-1800 rpm, don't need that much engine on relatively flat roadway.

So me in your maunual were it tells you NOT to tow in OD?

My Boats:
    2004 28 Skater / 300x's
    San Diego
    I had a 99 f-250 4x4 psd lifted with 35's that I towed a 26' cat with in O/D without a problem.

I currently have a 02 f-350 4x4 psd that I tow a Top Gun with in O/D with no problems. I have also towed a 42 Tiger with this truck over 500 miles in O/D without a problem.

I just don't put it in O/D until I am at freeway speeds. I have some friends that have had tranny problems and they were told by Ford it was because they were driving around town in O/D.

Side note, after having my PSD for 30,000 and two years, we have a lock-up clutch fan who new?

I've only had it engage once in all this time, 95 deg. 95 hum. long grade, A/C on, 70 mph, 10K#, I truely thought it was a car or truck next to me (passing) until I realized I was out there all alone!

Registered Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    Powerboat Freak,,Cold Beer, Hot Women
    Houston, TX
    97 F-250 4x4

Always tow in O.D.

It does have a 2000 heavy duty series transmission in it.

No Problems!!!

I do pull a 96 29scarab with it!! 6000lbs!!!

My Boats:
    37 Active Thunder
    medford, nj usa
    I tow my 37 Active thunder with my 350 psd and the majority of the time I do not shut off the overdrive.

Charter Member #34 Charter Member Dock Holiday's Avatar
    Beautiful North Carolina
    Currently pulling a Baja 36 Outlaw on triple axle Myco trailer. Total weight is coming in between 11,000 to 11,500 lbs. depending on fuel in boat.

I have a 2002 F350 PSD dually with 4.10 gears. With the low gears I have to pull in overdrive or I would be at redline. Currently have 4000 miles on the truck, 80% of them towing and I always run with the overdrive on. Have never noticed the transmission temp gauge move at all. I think the truck is built to handle it.

2001 PSD Crew 4X4 lifted, ALWAYS tow in OD with no probs.

I have a 97 F350 CC 2WD SRW w/3:73 gears. It is a fuel miser and it tows max about 12K or so compared to 14-18K with the lower gears. I had a 10K 5th wheel. I always shifted out of OD (except downhill or small rolling hills) when I hit the 1600rpm's just to save on the trans and drivetrain. When I pull the boat now (6K or so) I hardly know it's back there till I have to stop quick and the trailer brakes kick in! And, speaking of the clutch fan (Kentz) mine kicks in all the time because of the temps here and it does make some noise!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast