Why wont my bilge pump shut-off >

Why wont my bilge pump shut-off

Notices

Why wont my bilge pump shut-off

Old 04-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why wont my bilge pump shut-off

I have a 3- position switch at he dash. (left=manual) (middle=off) (right=automatic).
No position will stop the pump from running. I have to unhook battery. Could the dash switch be shorted always on or am I missing something here?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Registered

I suppose the switch could short "closed" but way way more likey the float switch is or the automatic portion of the pump failed. What exact pump is it? Some use a current sense and some use a mechanical mercury switch.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by happy hours
likey the float switch is or the automatic portion of the pump failed.
This

I have mine stick a couple times on me after degreasing the bilge. Only I can gain access to mine and just took a couple taps of the hand (mine has float witch built into it).
Old 04-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know if this pertains to your particular pump, but mine doesn't have a float switch, it is electronic. It comes on every couple of minutes, if it doesn't sense a load, it shuts back off. Over and over and over until the battery switch is switched off or the batteries die.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Don't know if this pertains to your particular pump, but mine doesn't have a float switch, it is electronic. It comes on every couple of minutes, if it doesn't sense a load, it shuts back off. Over and over and over until the battery switch is switched off or the batteries die.
That's just plain silly
Old 04-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_342
That's just plain silly
For sure. Resetting radio presets every weekend after the batteries are switched on is PITA, but it beats changing a functioning bilge pump or dead batteries.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

We use those electronic bilge pumps in the AT's specifically under the cabin, just in front of the step.
HOWEVER, they are switched beyond the battery switches. We connect them to the overall cabin power switch. This would be for whenever one would use the cabin head/shower; AC would be running, and/or would be sleeping in the cabin overnight on generator/shorepower.

If it were me, I'd install a hidden toggle switch somewhere in a cabinet to turn it off.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Registered

It is a Mayfair pump with a seperate Water Witch or (water sensing) switch. From what I understand I should have 3 options. 1 = (Automatic) turns on the pump when the Water Witch senses water and completes the positve circuit to the pump. 2 = (Manual) I flip the switch and complete the positive circuit to the pump. 3 = (Off) pump should not turn on at all.

The problem is the Pump will not stop running regardless of wear I flip the switch
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

Possibly my water sensing switch is stuck in the on Position and turning the toggle switch off at the dash board will not over-ride it.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Possibly my water sensing switch is stuck in the on Position and turning the toggle switch off at the dash board will not over-ride it.
Is this a new install/replacement?

Strange things can happen with wrong polarity, warning tag on wires I believe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.