If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Fast Frank

Attention stepped Fountain owners-props turning in or out?

2002 42 Fountain, props turn in from the factory-always heard that this gives you 1-3 mph, but takes away handling.

On the "History of cat's" thread there was an extensive discussion of the do's and dont's of spinning in or out. The bottom line was it is much more dangerous spinning in, like this boat came from the factory.

Can someone explain the reasoning here?

Anyone tried to or have them spinning out? (good or bad results?)

My Boats:
    1997 35' Fountain
    Tinley Park, IL
    You'll lose 3-4 mph. The boats are setup from Fountain to run in. To run them out you would have to mess with the X dimension. The only place I have noticed handling problems is around the dock.

The Illustrious One Charter Member sean stinson's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Back on the dock!!!!!!!
    Internationally Famous
    The reason it is ill handling around the dock is because the boat is the prop is fighting the boat for lack of a better phrase. They are running against each other so in my unprofessional opinion it's because the left is on the right and vice versa so the torque from the engine is making it do stupid things......but if you get in tight quarter's DON"T PANIC if it does something backwards a boat bumping another in neutral is better than bumping one in gear under power. I have found that the comfort zone for myself is instead of putting say the outside engine in reverse to pull it into the dock put the inside engine in reverse and more times than not, again for me, it has had the same effect as the outside engine did on outward rotation.... I am sure that explaination won't get me honors for the graduation, but it's Friday night at midnight with visions of Spearmint Rhino's in my head.
    Dying,....Is the day worth living for!!!!!!

Cape Coral, FL
    Have not tried rotating out, but can't believe handling would be much better (if any) when running. Maneuvering around dock possibly. Another factor would be a staggard setup. Around the dock, you have to be a little more patient waiting for the bow to start coming around. Feels like the boat tends to slide rather than turn-in-place.

The Illustrious One Charter Member sean stinson's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Back on the dock!!!!!!!
    Internationally Famous
    Out doesn't give you any more handling while running just manuvering around the docks and such. IMHO
    Dying,....Is the day worth living for!!!!!!