Notices

Alcantara and super suede

Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alcantara and super suede

Alcantara and Ultrasuede /Super Suede what is the difference? Or is it the same people just call it different? i know it cost about the same.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alcantera rocks! However, it is very difficult to work with due to the minimal stretch. Considered high end enough to be incorporated in several super cars at the oem level. Also, has a narrow color selection.

I know nothing of ultra/super suede....
Old 04-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

an Alcantera is like a smaller furrier Nauga right?
Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasu..._vs._Alcantara
Old 04-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Although that included a lot of info you guys mat have to translate that. I learned nothing....

"Sadly, due to lack of brand recognition, the term 'Ultrasuede' has been used to describe most all microfiber suedes on the market."

Sooooo.... Whats the actual difference? Sounds like NONE.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Registered

Both are rated at 200,000 Wyzenbeek "butt rubs" - that is, Alcantara and Toray Ultrasuede. The Toray product is much imitated and believe me, there's a huge difference in the quality of Toray Ultrasuede and lower-priced look-alikes. Alcantara has backing options which Ultrasuede does not. The surface look and feel might be very similar but longevity differs based on the backing. With a woven back, either are suitable for seating. With the absence of a back, Alcantara is really workable for curved surfaces (like the dash of a Lamborghini) but it'll tear through if used on a seat. Trim pros are your best friend when it comes to making a wise choice of materials and their suitability for any given application.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought about Alcantara when I redid my interior. I called the manufacturer and the representative I spoke to recommended not getting it wet. I know that a lot of the manufacturers have been using it with good success and obviously has been good thus far. I boat with my family and it will get wet inside so I decided against the Alcantara. I suspect it would be okay but the manufacturer does not recommend to get wet.