Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Problem with a new 42 Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31121-problem-new-42-cigarette.html)

BadDog 08-17-2002 01:41 PM

Ditto on what Ron said about the drive showers. I know you said you did not have them but for others reading this post if the tips are too deep prop blow out can occur. Had this problem with a 25 Mirage Plus and I shimmed them up just a tad, problem solved.

Tim T.

sean stinson 08-17-2002 01:44 PM

Originally posted by keyslife
sorry its 38" centers not 28" oops. Hey guys thanks for the input I ordered the Herings today.
Who did the set-up? And where's the X located?????

Call me!!!!! I have a couple of options you may want to try!!!

Smitty 08-17-2002 01:45 PM

Sean,
Thanks for the education!!! I wasn't sure if they did on a boat that big. When I posted he hadn't stated that it "blows out props at 3000 rpm" yet. I have to agree with some posts that he needs more blades in the water because I'm sure those motors have alot of torque and need a prop that bites to really get moving.

I have a little 24 footer but have 575 HP and the only prop that I can use is a Bravo 1. All others I have tried I can blow out at just about any time.

Dave

sean stinson 08-17-2002 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Bigwavz
Sean,
Thanks for the education!!! I wasn't sure if they did on a boat that big. When I posted he hadn't stated that it "blows out props at 3000 rpm" yet. I have to agree with some posts that he needs more blades in the water because I'm sure those motors have alot of torque and need a prop that bites to really get moving.

I have a little 24 footer but have 575 HP and the only prop that I can use is a Bravo 1. All others I have tried I can blow out at just about any time.

Dave

Have you tried a Hering on it and what pitch are you running?????

keyslife 08-17-2002 02:02 PM

Sean, what do you mean by the X . The setup was done at Cigarette.

sean stinson 08-17-2002 02:06 PM

Originally posted by keyslife
Sean, what do you mean by the X . The setup was done at Cigarette.
X-Dimension...Drive height in relation to the bottom of the boat. And if Cig did the set-up that means Neill did the setup so if you roll into the power gradually does it blow out the props and if it does how long does it take them to catch up and start to bite??
Sean

H2Xmark 08-17-2002 02:14 PM

Sean is right 99% on the bravo /trans, but Imco has a protype setup with a bravo drive with a transmission, they used it on the 25 ft eliminator, that Teague went 144mph in, with this setup you use both gears in the top so it is stronger, instead of one for forward and other for reverse

Smitty 08-17-2002 02:15 PM

Sean,
I run a 26" prop and I only wish I could afford a Hering prop. Plus where I run my boat it is shallow and I wouldn't want to risk a big $$$$ prop meeting with the bottom!!!

Rickoffshore 08-17-2002 05:47 PM

keyslife, e-mail me @ [email protected] - Rick Conti

cobra marty 08-17-2002 06:06 PM

What pitch and diameter Herrings did you order? Are they really $2500 each?