Notices

Reggie speaks out

Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
I agree, but if they use an original fountain hull are they helping fountain or themselves?

I would like to see it done the RF marine 43 prototype we have seen renderings of
Good point & while I'm shooting my big mouth off anyway about what Reggie should do ..... I might as well throw in that him & the boys should just buy the Fountain name & the factory back also . The king is far from dead & although he is a first class act & what he has done done for the sport has spoken for itself in an incredibly positive way , I'm one of his biggest fans & thinking him sitting in his castle watching that go on in his back yard has gotta make the racer in him think twice about busting that record one more time !!!! No disrespect intended Mr. Fountain if yer listening & if you decide to sit on the castle porch and enjoy the show then I'm rooting for ya as I have done each race I saw you run ! Nobody can ever say you have something to prove that you haven't already written in the history books & just like Elvis the king of rock you earned the right to be the king of offshore . But there is sure a bunch of us fans behind you if you decide to whoop some ass one more time !!!!!! Long live da KING
Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Katanna
They could really mess with peoples minds by building a new fountain without a beak.
Fountain did that a few years ago with their first SVL so it would "fit" the class.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You have to hand it to Reggie...He does nothing but watch an attempt funded by other peoples money, utters a few platitudes that cost him nothing, and gets more publicity and adulation from his "fan club" than the actual record breakers received. Next he will auction off his old bed sheets and you folks will enshrine them beside the Shroud of Turin.

Somewhere PT Barnum is pumping his fists.and laughing.

Last edited by T2x; 05-02-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
You have to hand it to Reggie...He does nothing but watch an attempt funded by other peoples money, utters a few platitudes that cost him nothing, and gets more publicity and adulation from his "fan club" than the actual record breakers received. Next he will auction off his old bed sheets and you folks will enshrine them next to the Shroud of Turin.

And some people can see right through this post..........
Old 05-02-2014, 11:10 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
And some people can see right through this post..........
I hope so because I can't.

By the way, this isn't Reggie's fault...he didn't ask you all to kiss his feet ( or any other part of his anatomy for that matter).
Old 05-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
You have to hand it to Reggie...He does nothing but watch an attempt funded by other peoples money, utters a few platitudes that cost him nothing, and gets more publicity and adulation from his "fan club" than the actual record breakers received. Next he will auction off his old bed sheets and you folks will enshrine them beside the Shroud of Turin.

Pretty sure Mike Fiore is both happy with the record and the fact Reggie said, "if I was looking to buy a vee bottom today, it would be from Mike Fiore!"

I also think your point is off base, if Reggie said something ugly he would have gotten even more press so obviously free press wasn't his intention. Imagine if he accused them of cheating, made a comment about the 10 years that have elapsed since the record, etc.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:05 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Was Reggie's Record actually broken ???

After a quick search, it appears Reggie's Record still stands as his record was not a "Special Event Sanction" :

"The legendary boat manufacturer, Reggie Fountain from Washington, North Carolina, took the throttles and equally legendary racer, Ben Robertson from Jacksonboro, South Carolina stood at the helm of a brand new Fountain as they set an equally new record for the APBA Offshore Performance Extreme Vee Class with their # PV-76 Fountain.

The team, who joined APBA Offshore at the event, brought their Pier 57 –Fountain/Mercury raceboat hit a home run with an overall average of 171.004 miles per hour, slamming out a blistering 176.553 miles per hour on the return run.

Under the A.P.B.A. – U.I.M. sanctioning rules, each boat must make two total runs, one coming from the start to finish and the other back. Speeds are then averaged based with an intricate scoring system that records the actual start and finish times as they cross the beginning and ending points of the Kilo course on each run. "

Source: http://www.bymnews.com/new/content/view/2097/1/

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-03-2014, 10:54 AM
GDM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Remember the last few years in the powerboat business wasn't great, no extra money laying around to break records with! OL has been building cutting edge stuff for years, if the record breaking cash was there they would have done this years ago. Look at what they have accomplished on the race course in the last 5 years!
well going with speculation like that you could also speculate that if Reggie stayed competitive he would have set the bar much higher along the way and everyone would be still chasing his newer records

but you didn't hear it from me cause I aint one to gossip
Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by GDM
well going with speculation like that you could also speculate that if Reggie stayed competitive he would have set the bar much higher along the way and everyone would be still chasing his newer records
Except Reggie's boats weren't changing even when he had money to spend. The 42 Lightning hull dates to the 90's, he altered the steps and finally in 2008/09 they re-did the cabin interior. The 42 Poker Run was about the most performance oriented boat he made in the last 10 years of him running the company and it was basically a sit down/no cabin 42. OL on the other hand has been non-stop with changes from whole boats, to quad step bottoms with all sorts of configurations (sit down, open bow, etc).

Maybe someone else can chime in on the exact timeline but I think the twin step 42 dates to about 1994/1995? If 94, that is a 20 year old design! To put that in perspective, it is about the same amount of time OL has been in business! OL's 37 Stilleto was a great boat but is long gone from production by 15 years? OL is constantly improving, Reggie was tweaking the 42 but you honestly can't say he was improving the design by much......
Old 05-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Except Reggie's boats weren't changing even when he had money to spend. The 42 Lightning hull dates to the 90's, he altered the steps and finally in 2008/09 they re-did the cabin interior. The 42 Poker Run was about the most performance oriented boat he made in the last 10 years of him running the company and it was basically a sit down/no cabin 42. OL on the other hand has been non-stop with changes from whole boats, to quad step bottoms with all sorts of configurations (sit down, open bow, etc).

Maybe someone else can chime in on the exact timeline but I think the twin step 42 dates to about 1994/1995? If 94, that is a 20 year old design! To put that in perspective, it is about the same amount of time OL has been in business! OL's 37 Stilleto was a great boat but is long gone from production by 15 years? OL is constantly improving, Reggie was tweaking the 42 but you honestly can't say he was improving the design by much......
He didn't need to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.