Notices

Reggie speaks out

Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
He didn't need to.
You do realize the company went bankrupt right?

Obviously changes were necessary on many levels and selling the same boat for 20 years doesn't bring out new buyers because you streamlined the windshield a few inches.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation

Obviously changes were necessary on many levels and selling the same boat for 20 years doesn't bring out new buyers because you streamlined the windshield a few inches.
Cool story
Old 05-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think fountain went under because of the boats they were building. Fountain changes hands then goes under. Im blaming it on bad business. Fountain wasn't the only name that went down with the sinking ship. Id compare the 42 to a top gun. Very minimal changes since inception. If it ain't broke, don't fix it til its broke.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Did you not buy a sunsation that was allready in production for 10+ years?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
Did you not buy a sunsation that was allready in production for 10+ years?
Actually no......I had one of the first 32 MCOB's (it may have been the first since it was the test boat for Hot Boat).
Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rbesola
I don't think fountain went under because of the boats they were building. Fountain changes hands then goes under. Im blaming it on bad business. Fountain wasn't the only name that went down with the sinking ship. Id compare the 42 to a top gun. Very minimal changes since inception. If it ain't broke, don't fix it til its broke.

Reggie was out the door because it was already millions in debt, if it was profitable he would still be at the helm!

Cig went twin step, then staggered in addition to trim changes.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Actually no......I had one of the first 32 MCOB's (it may have been the first since it was the test boat for Hot Boat).
actually yes 32 sunsation same old hull design with fake steps..

so you are saying fountain redesigns some stuff and the windshield and it's still the same old boat ..
Sunsation puts a hole in front and it's a new design.. okay
Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reggie was out the door because it was already millions in debt, if it was profitable he would still be at the helm!

Correct me if im wrong but the 42 started as a flat bottom most with trips, progressed to steps, eventually went exclusively to twins, staggered an option, interior was also updated. Much of the same changes the TG seen over the years but the basic design remained untouched. Its not like he unloaded all his problems and walked away. He remained an employee for a year or two after i believe as part of the deal
Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered

so you are saying if fountain went with staggered engines .twin step..and some other redesigns they be doing great today..thanks

if this thread was about Baja you be saying crap about them ..lf it was about powerquest you be saying crap about them or any other builder for the most part ..you just like to go against the grain all the time.. and we thank you for all you knowledge and information we're grateful to have you
Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Registered

I think you guys are missing the point.....OL is constantly changing, Fountain was not. It is hard to sell a guy the same boat he already has but make changes and make the guy want the new boat, just like any successful manufacturer does.....cars/bikes/computers/tvs....whatever. Reggie had a winner with the 42 hull, absolutely from the sales floor to the race course....no argument but better hulls have been introduced and without evolving you get left behind.

Cig still makes a 38TG but when have you seen a new one lately? I remember the electric boat, but can't think of the last new TG I have seen. They are killing it with those 42 Huntresses and the CC line......evolving. Reggie had a good line of CC's, the 38 TE being my favorite but boats like the 38 cruiser/fish idea were awful, the EC/Fish package was even worse! Reggie got caught trying to make 30+ different styles of boats from the 27 to the 48, go fast/cruiser/fish/ or combos of both. Dealers were sweating stocking all this stuff (and paying the vig on the floorplan) as the market was drying up.

Current management is trying to figure out what to do with all these boats/lines/brands.....but without Reggie I suspect no one will be in line to buy a 42 dating to 1995 and even if Reggie was pressing palms in the sales booth I suspect it would be a very short line. Shogren was the biggest Fountain dealer in America at one time, could you see him ordering 5-10 new Fountains today? A 42/700 boat would have to be 600K+ yet you can buy 3 used ones at that price right now and have the identical boat! Factor in an OL 44/700 boat would be 10-15 mph faster and that demand for the Fountain would really dwindle.

BTW this was the baddest 42 ever made in my opinion: http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o56827-en.html But that boat today would be 800K++++ which is insanity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.