Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
is this cone clutch worn out? (pic) >

is this cone clutch worn out? (pic)

Notices

is this cone clutch worn out? (pic)

Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this cone clutch worn out? (pic)

Is this cone clutch worn out? It is in my bravo xr that is slow to engage. Takes 10 seconds to engage into forward even after a new cable and adjust. Does anyone have one they would sell? Steve 509 430-7733
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Thrasher, Take some " Crocus cloth " and scuff the shine off the inside of those gears where the cone seats in.......Problem Solved !
Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Registered

I figured out what was going wrong. The gear had worn just enough that it was allowing the cone clutch to bottom out on the bearing for the garter spring. If you had the parts in your hands you could see the inside of the bottom area on the cone clutch was slightly worn and the flat bearing also had some wear. I ordered a new clutch and it did not help the problem. I took everything to my machinist and he deepened the pocket the garter spring bearing sits into by 5 thou and the clutch would grab , when it would not before. I put everything back together and it worked flawlessly. We have been boating all summer 2 or 3 times a week and it has never given me an issue since. Problem solved